Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Laughs or Links!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Waldspirale

This is so utterly cool I can't believe it actually got built:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...dertwasser.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldspirale
Old 10-19-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Waldspirale

This is in my hometown. Nice bar in the top tower.
Same guy built a lot of houses like this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frieden..._Hundertwasser
Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 AM

I've been living in Darmstadt for 2 years now, and am just about to move apartments. I really wanted to move into the Waldspirale, however the rent was massive for what was essentially a pretty good flat in an amazing bit of architecture. There is also a bar at the roof of this building which has incredible views of Darmstadt, and a magnificent skyline of Frankfurt on the horizon (especially awesome at night). However i've got a flat in town now which is stunning and has it's own sauna, and it costs about the same!

This place is definately worth a visit though if you ever find yourself in Darmstadt.

Hey Peter, i should have read your post first, what do you do in Darmstadt? Do you know of Eumetsat, it's where i am currently working. I'm quite suprised to find another person from Darmstadt on 2+2! I'll have to invite you to one of our poker evenings!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is in my hometown. Nice bar in the top tower.
Same guy built a lot of houses like this:

[/ QUOTE ]

What a visionary. Thanks for the link. I like this quote:

On July 4, 1958, he read his celebrated and controversial Verschimmelungs-Manifest, the so-called Mould Manifesto against rationalism in architecture, in the abbey of Seckau.

"A person in a rented apartment must be able to lean out of his window and scrape off the masonry within arm's reach. And he must be allowed to take a long brush and paint everything outside within arm's reach. So that it will be visible from afar to everyone in the street that someone lives there who is different from the imprisoned, enslaved, standardised man who lives next door."
Old 10-19-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been living in Darmstadt for 2 years now, and am just about to move apartments. I really wanted to move into the Waldspirale, however the rent was massive for what was essentially a pretty good flat in an amazing bit of architecture. There is also a bar at the roof of this building which has incredible views of Darmstadt, and a magnificent skyline of Frankfurt on the horizon (especially awesome at night). However i've got a flat in town now which is stunning and has it's own sauna, and it costs about the same!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an amazing place. Thanks for the feedback. I've been studying and working with a green builder so this is rather mind-blowing.

Do you know anything about the individual apartments? Are they all configured differently? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Whoa- I just noticed that Darmstadt is in the solar decathlon:

http://www.solardecathlon.de/