Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 10:26 AM

Default check behind or fire

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 (t12655)
MP1 (t51209)
MP2 (t9202)
CO (t22793)
Hero (t41653)
SB (t19948)
BB (t16676)
UTG (t16267)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t800, Hero calls t800, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t2925) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?

being last to act in these spots i find is a common but interesting spot. nobody has shown strength so the agrro side of me wants those chips now. the other side says if i get c-raised all in by these stacks i can't call can i? so then i think about checking. ok guys what do you think? btw if im in the middle id always bet here hoping to take it down.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: check behind or fire

Fold equity + good draw + the fact that they may call / check turn and you can take a free card = def bet, something like t2,000.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold equity + good draw + the fact that they may call / check turn and you can take a free card = def bet, something like t2,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree definitely bet here. There is a chance you just take it down and if not you still have 2 chances to hit your flush. I agree that if only one calls he probably checks to you and you might get to see a free river if you miss on the turn.

Edit: I agree that you can't call if you do get CRAI on this flop but I don't see that happening on this kind of flop with a limped pot. Plus even if it does happen you still will have a healthy chip count after only investing T2800.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Stack sizes make a CRAI pretty much an overbet here, so less likely. I think you can bet this pretty safely.

If you check behind and the a heart hits, do you really think you are likely to get paid? I mean you might not get much either way, but I don't think taking a free crad is worth all that much to you.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:24 AM

bet 2222. and listen to everything else above.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:53 AM

I actually don't like PF. Fold&gt;Raise&gt;Call.

As played, pretty easy bet/fold in a limped pot.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 PM

Is it because of only one limper or just in general with this type hand?
I'm not real keen on the PF either, but I know that in order to win tournaments, one has to build their chip stacks. This looks like a good place to pick up a few chips cheaply to me.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 PM

I think a case could be made for either checking or betting to take control and try to win the pot right there...if villains have not shown to be overly aggressive or tricky, I make a little more than half sized pot bet...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 PM

i bet 2k and bb shoved i folded.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:15 AM

I don't mind preflop calling a suited ace when we are on the button - while stack-sizes could be deeper for this play, but Ham plays long enough to get away if an ace flops.

I still think you have to bet this flop. If you play a suited ace you are looking for a flush-draw, and if you hit you have to play it aggressively.

More interesting is the bet-size on the flop.

You have at least 9 outs - aces might be outs, but we are not sure about them, so let's make it 10 outs. So we are 38,4% likely to win this hand.

If we bet 2k - as you did - and get reraised all-in we get odds of 1:1,5 if BB shoves and 1:1,35 if it is CO.

With 10 outs we need 1:1,6 to call.

So I think your only mistake was the bet size. Against CO's stack size you have to overbet the pot - I'd make it 4,5k. You still have FE and you get the proper odds to call an AI.

In these situations if you just check behind and another heart hits on the turn you won't get any more chips in the pot most often, so playing suited aces gets -EV if you just play them passively.