Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Flopped top 2 - do you pot the turn here??

No real reads on the other players but the table has been quiet and nitty a la crypto. Not sure i played this that great, obvious the flop bet is standard but do you let it go on the turn??

Cryptologic
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($11, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $11</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($44, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $44</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($132, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $1.75</font>.
Uncalled bets: $0.25 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: $135.5
Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Flopped top 2 - do you pot the turn here??

Preflop your starting hand is rather weak, I would tend to fold this.

Flop: 2 pair is not much in Omaha, esp. when there is a flush draw on the loose a small continuation bet perhaps, I would check.

Turn you might have 7 outs, check.

River you have pot committed yourself with a bad hand and pay the price.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 AM

This hand is not rather weak. The hand can make a nut flush, a second nutflush, nut straights and good 2 pairs and full houses.

In middle position first to act it is an easy raise.

After raising the hand, playing at the flop against 2 opponents and this flop I would potsize bet here too.

If you are ahead at the flop (It seems he holds a flush draw, because he did not check raise here) the jack do not change this very often and so a bet here is good (I will make it not full potsize. Maybe 30-35$ is better to get called from flush draws).
Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: 2 pair is not much in Omaha, esp. when there is a flush draw on the loose a small continuation bet perhaps, I would check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in an unopened pot i am always playing this hand for a raise in mid-late pos, and i consider myself to be a fairly nitty player.

on a somewhat raggy flop with the only draw being an ovbvious flush i feel i have to bet here - i would say this would take the pot uncontested a high enough % of the time to be a +ev, and i would certainly rather flop 10 6 as top 2 than say K 10

the turn is the only part of my play i am really unsure about - but in these spots i hope that my image of a tight player who usually has the hand will help push these bets through, but i appreciate your comments about the turn, as i obviously lost the hand and this was the crucial decision
Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 PM

i think this is good, as u caught the gutshot as well and non of the obvious draws hit.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry no, but only human, I think I mispelled the word limp rather a lot. Perhaps the word rather in rather weak is also a bit over the top. But in all fairness this is not a powerhouse hand. Of course if you have a read that the players at the table will often fold to a raise unless they are very strong, a raise to win right here is not bad, but if you almost always get called by more than one a raise with this hand can drop in value. The 6 is just connected to the T, which does devaluate the hand.

Too much agression leaves it often possible for the opponents to just let you get your stack to the middle without many chances to improve. But that is a question of style I suppose.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:00 AM

i think the main reason i raise a hand like this is for variation - i nornally only raise the obvious hands, very rarely re raise so my PFR is only something like 4% which i think is too low and somewhat predictable. i think by raising in unpoened pots with weaker holdings you add a little more variety to your play.

maybe its abit of a holdemy way of thinking im not sure, but if i had something like 10 9s, 3 from the button in an unopened pot i would always open raise rather than limp, as i feel limping is a rather weak play in these instances
Old 05-25-2007, 12:33 AM

Nothing wrong with playing this hand for a raise preflop. You're double-suited with two good suits and you're at least reasonably connected. I could see a really tight player making the stylistic choice to fold, but calling a raise "wrong" is pretty ridiculous.

As for the turn, I'd just go ahead and pot it most of the time. Both of the draws missed and you don't want to let BB and CO draw for free, especially with the one pair hands they'd probably fold for a raise that have lots of outs against you. It would be good to know CO's stack size though.

JavaNut sounds like he's used to playing in loose-passive FR games with lots of players to the flop, but with three to the flop, never betting the flop with top two or even betting the flop less than half the time here is a huge leak. We're way ahead of our opponent's likely ranges and we can't let them draw for free.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 AM

this whole hand is fine. lol at anyone folding this preflop