Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2006, 11:09 AM

Default TOP: poker is one big game

On page six of Theory of Poker, Sklansky says:
[ QUOTE ]
Just as it is important not to think in terms of individual pots – not to chase money you have contributed to an individual pot – so it is important to realize you are not playing in individual games. Each individual game is part of one big poker game….Thus, whether you are winning or losing on a given night is not in itself important, and above all it must not affect your play. It’s easy to get steamed, or disgruntled or discouraged, when you’re losing. However, you must be disciplined enough to play every hand correctly, regardless of whether you are winning or losing.

[/ QUOTE ]
More terrific advice to avoid tilt and emotional turbulence. I myself am quite guilty of this wrong-headedness. I set a goal for myself of winning $15 per day every day this year. Now, I generally think of this as an overarching goal – “by the end of the year, I’d like to have enough money so that it sums to at least $15 per day over the year” – but in reality, I get depressed if I don’t make my $15 FOR THE DAY. These daily targets are stupid, I realize, and counterproductive. Do other people have targets like this? I assume nobody else is dumb enough to set a DAILY target, but maybe a weekly or monthly one? And if so, do you find yourself playing differently when variance keeps you from your target, or pushes you over your target early? Because I certainly do, and I’m not proud of it. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.