Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Has That 14,000 Machine Been Described Here Before?

I tried it in a little place in Henderson that charges thirty bucks a month to let you use one of their eight machines. I'll describe it if it hasn't already been done.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Has That 14,000 Machine Been Described Here Before?

I haven't seen it described and wouldn't mind hearing it. It's a pretty rarefied, odd device, DS. I doubt you could ask that question on many forums in the world and see people saying they had used it.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:03 AM

I am unfamiliar with this machine.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:17 AM

Are you talking about the 14000 Total Gym or the $14,000 Machine?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 AM

I REALLY want to hear from someone who's used the $14k machine!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 AM

love their logic used to defend their pricetag:

THE EXPENSE OF EXERCISE
The expense of exercise must be measured in cost per use in terms of MONEY spent for equipment and in cost of TIME required for a complete workout. Fact is that 92% of people who own exercise equipment do not exercise and 88% of people who own health club memberships do not go to their health club. All of these people who do not exercise had no problem with spending the money toward the good intention of exercising to improve their health and fitness. The main reason why they continue to allow their health to deteriorate is the tremendous cost of TIME and SELF DISCIPLINE that conventional forms of exercise require. Many decades of media articles and television coverage on the importance of exercise to improve health and fitness have done absolutely nothing to overcome the TIME and SELF DISCIPLINE problem of exercise.

A ROM WORKOUT IS LESS EXPENSIVE THAN ANY OTHER WORKOUT
Each ROM workout costs less than 20 cents in terms of money and it costs EXACTLY 4 minutes in terms of time. The return on this small money and time investment is so very impressive that the ROM is the absolute least expensive way to improving and maintaining health and fitness. How do we know that the ROM costs less than 20 cents per 4 minute workout? ANSWER: Over 90% of ROM machines go to private residences, but we have a few ROM machines that have been in commercial use since 1991 and they have each endured over 80,000 uses and they are still not in need of repair or overhaul. We do not know yet how many 4 minute uses our ROM machines will ultimately last, but dividing the $14,615 price of the ROM by at least 80,000 uses comes out to under 20 cents per use. Of course it is a problem that it would take a single person over 250 years to use up 80,000 uses. The ROM will become an heirloom passing from one generation to the next.

PROJECTED PERSONAL COST PER USE
The PROJECTED PERSONAL COST PER USE for the person who purchases the $14,615 ROM depends on the life expectancy of that person and the other people in the household that will be using the ROM. If there are two people who are going to use the ROM and their average life expectancy without exercise is another 20 years each at ever declining quality, Then the average PERSONAL COST PER USE will have been $1.17 but the ROM will have at least another 67500 uses in it that can be used up by someone else. Of course by using the ROM every day the quality of life during the 20 years will improve impressively and the longevity should increase several years as well. See www.ExerciseAndHealth.com . Those extra years will decrease the PERSONAL COST PER USE even further. On our free video you can see me, the manufacturer at age 60 (I am currently 62 years old), showing off how the ROM 4 minute per day exercise has increased my strength and flexibility and has captured back a few years on the aging process.

PUBLIC ROM FACILITIES
A couple of people have opened up a small membership QuickGym health facility that only have our ROM machines. They charge about $50 per month membership. That makes the PERSONAL cost per use $2.50 and no big outlay of money to purchase a ROM, but the cost of TIME per use increases by the time required for commuting and that reduces again the likelihood for a person to go and do the exercise.

OTHER EXERCISE EQUIPMENT IS FAR MORE EXPENSIVE
Buying a treadmill of medium quality costs $1500 and it will last only 2000 uses until it needs to be replaced. It costs $0.75 per use plus 30 to 45 minutes and the results are only cardiovascular benefits, no muscle toning/strengthening, no flexibility benefits. A $5000 commercial grade treadmill may last 10.000 uses and costs about $0.50 per use and 30 to 45 minutes of time. Because of the high cost of time 92% of people who own treadmills do not use them. Those treadmills of course last forever because they are not used by their owners and the owners gradually lose their health and fitness.

Also found this bolded part to be quite a nice logical conclusion:

We recommend that you first rent the ROM for a 30 day trial period. In 30 days you will definitely find out that the ROM works as advertised. In addition you can make sure during the 30 days that you have the discipline to do 4 minutes of exercise per day. Even though it is far easier to discipline yourself to do 4 minutes of exercise per day than the conventional 20 to 90 minutes of exercise, there are still 3% of people who lack the discipline to do 4 minutes of exercise per day during the 30 day rental period (judging from the 3% ROM machines that are returned and not purchased at the end of the 30 day rental period).
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 AM

I'd be interested in this, assuming you're talking about the machine that costs 14grand.

However, before you describe it, if possible, give a brief description of your general health/workout history...just so we know what viewpoint you're looking at it from.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have died when you saw the thread title.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested in this, assuming you're talking about the machine that costs 14grand.

However, before you describe it, if possible, give a brief description of your general health/workout history...just so we know what viewpoint you're looking at it from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that machine. I only tried it for thirty seconds. There are only two exercises. Don't have time to get into it now. My background doesn't matter for my description of the machine but it will matter if I join the discussion regarding the theory behind it. I'll describe that later as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have died when you saw the thread title.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I soiled my keyboard.

Actually since Sklansky apparently can't find the $ on his keyboard (hint: shift-4, sssshhhhhh), I wasn't really sure. David, try taking an extra half-second to proof your subject lines, and maybe you'll get a little more respect around here - Mr. "I don't give no woman no money".