Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM

Default 50NL AA: on monotone flop

Hi

I'm really uncertain about what to do in these spots in general, when I have an overpair with a flop like this. If I have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] than I'll just try and get it in on the flop but without it I feel a little lost in these spots.

Villain in this hand was playing 39/20/2 over 100hands, kinda old hand so I dont remember if I had any reads on him.

Any advice on this hand or these spots in general is appreciated!

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($57.65)
Button ($70.25)
SB ($49.50)
BB ($55.55)
Hero ($56.85)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $13</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $8.50.

Turn: ($31.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $20</font>
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: AA: on monotone flop

There is two pieces of key information, which you need to know about villian:

<ul type="square">[*]Does he raise on a draw?[*]Does he overvalue TP/overpair hands even on dangerous boards?[/list]You can get this information either by having previously seen him make these plays (obv. one of the best methods to find out, especially if you observe this several times) or by extrapolating from other observations. Does he seem like a competent player who is capable of raising on a draw? Is he a fish who thinks "I have a pair, LOL, I raise"? Is he an insecure player who wouldn't raise without the near nuts?

Against a total unkown there is no shame in laying this down on the flop. Especially if there are targets at the table you would rather play with.

As played this looks too much like a value line here with something better than one pair. I would fold the turn.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: 50NL AA: on monotone flop

[ QUOTE ]
If I have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] than I'll just try and get it in on the flop but without it I feel a little lost in these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well having the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is a bit of a mixed blessing. Here we don't have it so we can put the nut flush draw in villain's range, but when we have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] it looks a lot less likely that villain is drawing.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM

It's a tough spot, and with no information beyond those stats I think the turn decision is close. Part of the problem is that Villain probably thinks you have the Ah or Kh and are drawing to the flush.

He is loose enough to have flopped the flush in a number of ways, though (and sets are of course also possible). And on the other side of the equation, if he has 9h9c, well, on the turn you just went from the slight favorite you were on the flop to a more substantial one.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:06 PM

3bomb the flop or call/bet any non heart turn
Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM

thanks triggerle, great advice!. If this hand was against someone you know is a descent player(pretty aggro and capable of raising w/a draw) and he makes a standard raise over you c-bet would you shove on the flop?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks triggerle, great advice!. If this hand was against someone you know is a descent player(pretty aggro and capable of raising w/a draw) and he makes a standard raise over you c-bet would you shove on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would certainly push the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] because I'm not entirely in bad shape (about 30% equity) even if he has a flush, which he will not have 100% of the time.

With your hand I still don't like pushing the flop because you are almost dead to a flush. I would probably call and fold the turn when he insists on making this a big pot.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would certainly push the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] because I'm not entirely in bad shape (about 30% equity) even if he has a flush, which he will not have 100% of the time.

With your hand I still don't like pushing the flop because you are almost dead to a flush. I would probably call and fold the turn when he insists on making this a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you call the flop you have to stack off on safe turns. or just fold to the flop raise.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you call the flop you have to stack off on safe turns. or just fold to the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. My last thought was for the special situation of a decent but very aggro player who will take a one-shot at you on the flop but who will not mindlessly bluff of his whole stack. Against this special type of opponent I can imagine that you can sometimes call the flop raise just to see if he follows up big on the turn (esp. since we are in position)

Edit: misread the position thing (BB threw me off) so this makes you even more right.