Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: \"I will keep them in my prayers tonight\"

[ QUOTE ]
Would I be correct in assuming that there are people who say it, with no intention of doing it? More as something comforting to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 PM

I think 95% of people who say this actually follow it up. I don't think it's akin to saying "we should get together sometime" or whatever.

I've certainly prayed for people before, but I never told them about it beforehand or even afterwards. I think that's sort of silly.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:55 PM

In 3rd grade there were these foreign Indian boys who transferred to my elementary school. They had lunch boxes with Barney the dinosaur on them, and were mercilessly taunted about this (obviously).

I prayed that night that they would get new lunch boxes. The next day, new lunch boxes. Proof that God exists FTW

(note - I grew up Catholic but am no longer religious)
Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 3rd grade there were these foreign Indian boys who transferred to my elementary school. They had lunch boxes with Barney the dinosaur on them, and were mercilessly taunted about this (obviously).

I prayed that night that they would get new lunch boxes. The next day, new lunch boxes. Proof that God exists FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the new lunch boxes have cows on them?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the new lunch boxes have cows on them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mods, please REMOVE Drew's only star. It's a travesty!

Thanks,
PHB
Old 03-02-2007, 07:04 PM

intresting thread.

If i tell someone i will pray for them i usually do it as im walkinh away from them, so i dont forget.
When i was a youth minster, it was more of a meditation thing, thinking of the kids, some in particular, what i could say to help, stuff like that.
When i preached, and people would come up wanting someone to pray ffor them afterwards....self explanatory

I have met a few people that would write everything down in a book, some would just pray over the book, that everything thing init ....
Some would read what they wrote from the book outloud, line by line

someone said that they had never told anybody they prayed for before or after. I usually treat this the same way, but there have been some ladies in my church that have said they were praying for me this week, and said some very encouraging things, some have said they were praying for me and invited me over for dinner....which is way cool when your broke

my 2 cents
Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 PM

My gf has recently gone through a life changing ordeal and when I say a life changing ordeal I am not exaggerating. Only one 2p2er knows about the situation b/c I haven't felt like talking about much. There was a thread on the belief in God which was in El D's thread I believe and my thoughts were along the lines of what he said in there, he put it very well. But for a long time when people would say that they would pray for so and so I just kind of never thought of it b/c I just didn't think it was really true, I didn't think that people thought of others this way.

Then this thing happens to my gf and everyone starts saying they will be praying for her and you know it was actually nice b/c you could hear it in everyone's voice that people actually do care. But what happened was what started to change my perspective. My gf's family is fairly well-known around the metroplex if you follow HS football b/c of her father so the word got around quick and people knew. But on my side of things, I was just telling the people closest to me.

Everyone started having prayer vigil's at their church, even friends of my parents--people that haven't ever met her and then people at their church are recognizing the last name and making a phone call to the family and it is then turning into an entire city caring for one person. It is really amazing actually.

To me it isn't that I think prayer heals anyone b/c I think that is crazy but I think that it is nice to know that people are thinking about you. It is nice to have positivity in your life when life seems to come crashing down on you and I am the worlds worst at finding everything that is wrong with people and thinking that there are no good people in this world but over the last month I am starting to think about things in a different way.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 PM

i do not consider myself a christian, because some of the biggest hypocrites i know do consider themselves christians. however, i do consider myself quite spiritual and over years have developed a method of prayer that is never "canned," but does follow a pattern of sorts to get me in synch with a higher place and understanding that the right thing is out there for everyone to choose.

so when i say i will say a prayer for someone, i mean it.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM

I say the prayer as soon as I part company with (whoever), assuming that I will forget later. Similar to the quick "thank you" prayer that many of us might say in the middle of a given day.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i do not consider myself a christian, because some of the biggest hypocrites i know do consider themselves christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your strategy is to avoid sharing any personal traits with any hypocrites? That sounds exhausting, not sure I'm following you.