Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Seat Shifting Strategy

The table I was playing today was unique in a couple different ways. First, I’ve never had so many split pots. There were at least four, possibly five in my 100 hands. Is that normal?

It happened twice in a row against the same player.

Second, I’ve never been at a table where there was so much shifting of seats. I’d see a player on my left wind up on my right. I saw players on my right wind up on my left. One guy moved at least twice.

I was on a very nice roll, 25 BB in 100 hands.

I have no idea whether I was the subject of these moves or whether players were shifting to gain an advantage on some other player. Or even if players were leaving to check out other tables and then coming back.

Is seat shifting common—this was 2/4 limit—and do you do it yourself?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Seat Shifting Strategy

Strategic seat-shifting at 2-4 limit? Doubtful. They're probably just trying to find a 'lucky' seat.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:11 PM

I think since you were up 25 BB in 100 hands you were the subject of this seat shifting.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 PM

At low limits during live play, you are almost always looking at people who are trying to find a lucky seat. It's highly doubtful they are looking to switch seats strategically.

This is a good thing for you though - people who believe in luck strongly enough to switch seats often are usually bad enough to give you their money a lot easier! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for split pots, the looser a game is, and the more people there are in each pot, the more often you will see split pots. 5 split pots in 100 hands is not uncommon, from my experience.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good thing for you though - people who believe in luck strongly enough to switch seats often are usually bad enough to give you their money a lot easier!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe they also carry rabbit's feet, wear their lucky underwear and cross their fingers at showdowns.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:42 PM

At 4/8 I changes seats for strategic position frequently. If commented on I say something donk-like, as in "well, I think this seat's about to get lucky!"

Most people that seat change do so in the oddest way, and not for strategy.

AB
Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The table I was playing today was unique in a couple different ways. First, I’ve never had so many split pots. There were at least four, possibly five in my 100 hands. Is that normal?

It happened twice in a row against the same player.

Second, I’ve never been at a table where there was so much shifting of seats. I’d see a player on my left wind up on my right. I saw players on my right wind up on my left. One guy moved at least twice.

I was on a very nice roll, 25 BB in 100 hands.

I have no idea whether I was the subject of these moves or whether players were shifting to gain an advantage on some other player. Or even if players were leaving to check out other tables and then coming back.

Is seat shifting common—this was 2/4 limit—and do you do it yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

At low-limit, the only seat changing I do (unless it's a too-juicy to pass up deal) is moving to my left whenever that person leaves. I generally prefer to have a new player come in on my right than my left.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:24 AM

When multi-tabling, I don't like to sit in the same seat on different tables, so I change.