Default Re: serious medical question(any doctors or med school lyfers out ther

lol eddaments
Old 08-17-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gargle salt water. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this(it helped, telehealth Ontario nurse told me). Also Edd, the reason I posed this question was to see if I should go @ night or wait until the morning, which is what I will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Morning's fine, bro. Could be strep, but odds are pretty good it's not this based on lots of pain and time of year. Viral URI's cause that kind of stuff. Btw, strep gets better on it's own, actually just as fast as if you take antibiotics... Goodluck sleeping.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:00 AM

Chatting with a P.A. online right now and she would want to know which if any of the following symptoms you had:

fever, chills, headache, runny nose, watery eyes...post nasal drip, swelling of lymph glands on neck, cough, inability to swallow, drooling
pam says:
stiff neck
pam says:
fatigue
Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gargle salt water. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this(it helped, telehealth Ontario nurse told me). Also Edd, the reason I posed this question was to see if I should go @ night or wait until the morning, which is what I will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Morning's fine, bro. Could be strep, but odds are pretty good it's not this based on lots of pain and time of year. Viral URI's cause that kind of stuff. Btw, strep gets better on it's own, actually just as fast as if you take antibiotics... Goodluck sleeping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats really not true. Strep can hang around for a long time and it can lead to some pretty nasty stuff if not treated. You might ebb and wane, and you might be able to fight it off, but if the symptoms are severe it can lead to more widespread bacterial infection.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chatting with a P.A. online right now and she would want to know which if any of the following symptoms you had:

fever, chills, headache, runny nose, watery eyes...post nasal drip, swelling of lymph glands on neck, cough, inability to swallow, drooling
pam says:
stiff neck
pam says:
fatigue

[/ QUOTE ]

She's worried about like meningitis?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 AM

pam says:
you can pass on that ros is pertinent to answers of questions
pam says:
not going to match wits with a med student
Old 08-17-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am a doctor

you have aids

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

pam says:
stiff neck
pam says:
fatigue

[/ QUOTE ]
None, my neck got a little stiff before but then it got better. Mostly just a really sore throat. I cant sleep becauseit hurts too much to swallow.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: serious medical question(any doctors or med school lyfers out there)

Not to interrupt with any actual medical information, but...

1)There's no way to tell by your symptoms whether or not this is bacterial (which antibiotics are useful for) or viral (which antibiotics are useless for.) And no, it doesn't matter whether or not you have a fever, gunk on your tonsils, or any other associated symptoms. Repeated peer reviewed studies have shown that even the most experienced MD doesn't have a clue just by looking, or taking a history.

2) There's a difference between "don't want to" and "can't".
If you really CAN'T swallow liquids, you might (very unlikely) have epiglottitis - very bad, and needs to be seen immediatly. But it's VERY rare - I've seen two cases in about 20 years.

3) Strep throat itself is a benign, self-limited condition. But it's treated with antibiotics for the following reasons -

a)small but real possibility of developing a peritonsillar or para or retropharyngeal abscess. Treatment for these involves me getting lousy anesthesia in the area and carving around with an 11 blade scalpel, until several cc's of nasty pus squirts into you mouth, after which you vomit. Good times......

b) a theoretical benefit of decreasing your chance of getting rhumathic fever, which leads to heart valve problems and maybe you getting your chest cracked by one of my golfing buddies.

So, if you rolled into my department, I'd do a monospot to rule out mono, and if that was negative, I'd give you an antibiotic, some pain meds, and a short course of steroids.
Some of my partners would do a strep screen, but I usually don't - for a bunch of complicated reasons that I'm too tired to type in - I just treat and street the majority of sore throats. Tell you to rest, push fluids, sleep - if it's strep, the antibiotics will fix you in 72 hrs or so, and you'll think I'm a helluva doc. If it's viral, the antibiotics won't do dick, but you're young and healthy, and you'll feel better in 72 hrs or so, and you'll think
I'm a helluva doc. Which I am.

PM me if you have any more questions - and hope you feel better soon....

MM MD
Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 AM

It's caused by eating too much jizz.

Try and cut back.