Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Bad Play or Bad Luck?

Maybe an hour into a freeroll. Blinds are 50/100.

UTG raises to 350. Next player folds, next one calls. All others fold to me (one off button). I call with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB also calls.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 :Club:. Initial raiser bets 400. I call. Other 2 players fold.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villian bets 500. I raise to 1,000. He puts me all-in. I call.

He shows AA. I have two pair - K and J.

River is a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I lose - AA and 44 beats my KK and JJ.

I figured all along he had a good hand, most likely a pocket pair but really doubted he had two pair beat...and I was right until the river. Hence the title of my post..bad play by me or just bad luck?

My gut reaction is bad luck, although as I think about it...any pair (other than king or jacks) on the board made him a winner. But can you play hands based on a fear of the board pairing?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Bad Play or Bad Luck?

Both. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Preflop: This is a poor hand to call a raise with (not that you should ALWAYS fold it to a raise). It's easily dominated and it usually makes weaker hands (one pair).

Flop: You should really raise here. Villian bet small and you have an active player behind you. You don't want to give good odds for somebody with hands like KQ or AQ to outdraw you.

Turn: Raising was good. You didn't mention stack sizes but you should be raising quite a bit more than this. If your opponent knew what you had it would have been easy call for him. The pot is 3750 and it's only 500 chips for him to call. He makes the best hand if the river comes a 3, 4, or ace. Calling his push was good as long as he didn't have a ton of chips left. If he had something like 10k+ then folding might be correct.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Ok yes that was bad luck i cant see you getting off of that hand and also you cant really think that he has a pair at all with only a short time playing with him pair is still possible

freeroll = free for all
what i mean is that freerolls are always won on races.

dont beat your self up about his

but if there is some thing that you can that away from this it is that in most cases and i 70% of time its not the best idea to slow play two pair as you become a better player you often be playing cards close in rank with means when you do flop two pair with these cards the odds of the turn hurting you are much greater because more draws are possible

in a nutshell yes bad luck but next time you flop two pair look at the flop and think to your self is this hand a monster can the turn hurt me and what action can i take to get the most money out of the other players at the table

good luck and i hope this helped
Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Pre-flop: Fold
Flop: Raise to 1600
Turn: Raise to 1500 or 2000
River: 8-outer, not that bad.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 AM

I also agree KJ is not the kind of hand to call a rasie with because it will often makes second best hands that will put you on a tuff decision

I know its cliche but try not to call a raise with a hand that you would not raise with your self unless you are given huge implied odds/ hands that play well in big pots
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: Fold
Flop: Raise to 1600
Turn: Raise to 1500 or 2000
River: 8-outer, not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you're giving anyone advice when a few days ago you were begging me for money... that's sad. U should be embarassed [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].