Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Re: The question I ask Xtian evangelists...

[ QUOTE ]
The quoted passage doesn't say what you think it says.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it does.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 PM

You took this TOTALLY out of context.
For example, I've got 2 Hebrews now...I've had them both about 4 years. Can I sell them for full value (less age-related depreciation) or do they only have 2 years left on them?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM

Did the church create an automated message board denial program? That would really save you some time.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you support slavery?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you show what research you've done on this question other than parrotting the SAB or some other doofus atheist web site, if you still don't get it, I'll help you out.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So would you accept that Christians have cherry picked the passages from the Bible that they liked (not forgetting the fact that these were the best bits cherry picked from a much bigger pool of text), essentially ignoring their only reference to the word of a God that they claim to hold in such high regard?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Txag wouldn't but anyone examining the evidence would likely conclude otherwise.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Do you support slavery?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you show what research you've done on this question other than parrotting the SAB or some other doofus atheist web site, if you still don't get it, I'll help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the SAB is. I was in a hotel room and there was nothing good on TV, so I started reading the Bible from page 1. (What more do you want than that?!)

I thought the Tower or Babel bit was fairly silly, but the slavery bit proves the church (and all Christians that disagree with slavery) does not believe it is the word of God, so how can I accept it?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 AM

Rest assured, the Church is AGAINST slavery and yet still believes Exodus 21 IS the Word of God. Perhaps there is something you aren't considering?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Keep reading, and keep your eyes open. There is no better way to get a solid understanding of Christianity and Western religion in general than to read that book. Don't even bother with the atheists sites until you've read it and interpreted it in its entire context. I'm confident a rational person will tend to react with either horror or incredulity, or both.

This is also a very fair test - if the Bible is a revelation from God, then there should be no better way to reach a position of faith than to read it. If it is not a revelation from God, then there should be no better way to reach a position of disbelief than to read it.

And if the Bible is the word of God and is the spiritual "meat and drink" it's sometimes referred to as, then we can expect that most who read the Bible will find God, and that reading the Bible will, in any case, generally lead to an increase of belief in God. If, on the other hand, the Bible is in fact a book of myths written by a bloodthirsty culture, then reading it will generally lead to a decrease of belief in God.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rest assured, the Church is AGAINST slavery and yet still believes Exodus 21 IS the Word of God. Perhaps there is something you aren't considering?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when Txag gets all mysterious. He keeps alluding to some answer hidden under the surface. When revealed, its usually some answer that's usual some fun mental gymnastics logic defying reason that attempts to make sense of senselessness.

When the simple answer is... the Bible was written by men thousands of years ago. They supported slavery. The Bible supports slavery and all sorts of barbaric behaviour. Christians now have to make up all sorts of convulated rationalizations to explain away the barbarity of the Bible. Anything but admit the obvious... it was written by men who were, by today's standards, somewhat barbaric.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the Bible was written by men thousands of years ago. They supported slavery...it was written by men who were, by today's standards, somewhat barbaric.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Put this in the correct historical context as it relates to the Bible.

2. Exactly how does this translate to today?