Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Lack of Reaction

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I didn't know where to put this. I'll be 22 this month and so far I haven't been too happy with how my life has turned out. My daily routine consists of me waking up, hoping on the computer, playing breakeven poker and talking to myself. I don't have any friends where I live and live with my parents. Sometimes when I do go out of the house (once every 3 days or so) I get angry when I see other people having a good time or laughing or doing something sociable. I feel like I don't belong and picture myself hurting them.

I also have like no reaction to yelling/verbal threats. I was driving with my window down and some guy yelled right in my car STOPPPPP(he was drunk). I didn't even react at all. I feel like I'm really empty inside and it kind of scares me sometimes because I feel like it's only going to get worse.

I've tried getting jobs but everytime I do I quit after like 2 months. As far as girls go, I've been with a bunch of girls but never had a serious relationship with any of them.

I'm really indifferent to like everything. I was walking to the liquor store today and these 2 kids and this girl were in the car. I walked by and the kid said something(not to me), I like WANTED him to talk [censored] to me so I could beat his ass. I don't know if this is how I'm always going to be but does anyone have any advice on how to fit into society better?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Lack of Reaction

Try the psychology forum.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Get away from your parents. Get a grant or a loan and go to college and live in a dorm for a year ( see how you like it). Hanging out with smart, ambitious, party type of guys and taking classes, studying with groups, and picking up chicks at college partys may change your perspective on life.
Else, get a job that you enjoy. Leave the parents and hang with the folks at your job. See how it goes.
Else, take meds, die young.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:24 PM

People are social creatures. If they get deprived of regular, meaningful social contact, their mind does funny things. It's totally normal even though the symptoms may not be.

You're at an age where it's very easy to change your social status. College is a great option. It sounds like you hate most of the jobs you're eligible for, and there's nothing wrong with that, but be aware that work and friends are the two pillars of a normal life, and normality greases the wheels of almost everything.

I guess the real question is, what do you like? What do you want to do with your life? If you find something you're interested in or that you consider worth pursuing, friends just seem to pop up. Poker is an unsustainable and unhappy life for most people, so you should consider putting some thought into a career and future. You seem smart, and smart people who take chances usually end up doing well.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:31 AM

Yeah I went to college when I was 18 and loved it. I didn't focus on my studies though and ended up dropping out (bad decision). Do you guys suggest going in as a freshman (.i.e new freshman so you can make friends) or just whatever grade your credits allow?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I went to college when I was 18 and loved it. I didn't focus on my studies though and ended up dropping out (bad decision). Do you guys suggest going in as a freshman (.i.e new freshman so you can make friends) or just whatever grade your credits allow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, If I had it all over to do again I wouldn’t give a crap what grades I got. Stressing about grades is just . . . well stressing. Take whatever classes are fun. Whatever classes have the best looking chicks. Don’t worry what will get you the best job. Money will eventually come easy to smart people no matter what you specialize in. Just enjoy life. Again, get away from the parents, take classes that start at 11:00 am and later and party as much as humanly possible. Take classes that you enjoy and that your new friends are taking and study together and do the best you can without worrying about the outcome. Have fun and [censored] as many co-ed’s as possible.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, If I had it all over to do again I wouldn’t give a crap what grades I got. Stressing about grades is just . . . well stressing. Take whatever classes are fun. Whatever classes have the best looking chicks. Don’t worry what will get you the best job. Money will eventually come easy to smart people no matter what you specialize in. Just enjoy life. Again, get away from the parents, take classes that start at 11:00 am and later and party as much as humanly possible. Take classes that you enjoy and that your new friends are taking and study together and do the best you can without worrying about the outcome. Have fun and [censored] as many co-ed’s as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think I could still make friends even if I transfer in the spring semester of 2008? I know a college I went to before in my sophomore year, my roommate already had made all his friends from freshmen year and basically didn't want to be friends.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think I could still make friends even if I transfer in the spring semester of 2008? I know a college I went to before in my sophomore year, my roommate already had made all his friends from freshmen year and basically didn't want to be friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you can make a ton of friends in college. Don't worry about one particular nit. Also, don't get an apartment and don't live with your parents - live in the dorms. You'll love it and you will make many, many friends.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 AM

Also, Speedlimits

There are many social programs you can sign up for when you are in college. Ask around, because there seems to be more now than when I was in college. I joined a mountain climbing group and a sky diving group that I happened to see some cute girls signing up for. These kept me busy when I wasn’t hitting every bar and party in town with new friends from the dorms.

If you join a dorm late in a semester, nobody cares, they all want to be your friends and they all want you to hang with them. People in dorms make close friends, but these people also come and go so often that new people are always warmly welcome.