Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: the Magic card game

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and Magic did nothing to improve their game that wouldnt have learned playing anything else competativly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Counting the "outs" you have to win a game by a certain turn(magic)/street(poker) in order to determine your winning chances is an element relevant to both games. Although I'm sure there are undoubtedly more, I hope you see why I don't have to find any more to prove your statement wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
sigh don't start. it's more like, people who had already been competitive for years got into poker and had a head start because of the logical thinking involved. also they had people to sweat/discuss with because they were already friends IRL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Taking up Magic now probably won't help with poker, just play more poker instead. Incidentally, drafting (a method of playing with few cards) Magic from time to time is pretty fun, but constructed takes waaaaay too much time and money.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:44 AM

Magic is certainly a more skill oriented game in terms that luck plays a much lesser role and big names win tournaments with great consistency.

Its really more of a chess game with a little luck factor involved. Pictures instead of pawns, everyone can choose their own pictures to have in their army and you get dealt a random set of pictures from your army every time you start a new game. The rest is really just chess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But there is a lot less money involved in MTG, and you need to be a truly amazing player to make a living comparable to MSNL grinders. There is also much less fish in the games.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also much less fish in the games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 AM

I played one time at a comic book store. I'll never do that again. I was so repulsed at how nerdy and spazy everyone was, I left after my first game.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and Magic did nothing to improve their game that wouldnt have learned playing anything else competativly. Play Chess. Scrabble. Kerplunk. Its not then game of magic that made them better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. I've played both. There are much stronger correlations between poker and Magic than there are with chess or Scrabble.

HINT: It's got to do with hand-reading and calculating odds. Chess has neither of those, Scrabble has a little but to a much lesser degree. I'm guessing a lot of people who share this viewpoint of yours just haven't played Magic at a high enough level.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 AM

my primary circle of friends and I are all old magic pros/players who are now pro poker players, and there are tons of us. Hanging out at the WSOP was like a reunion of old magic pros...

Learning Magic probably won't help your poker game that much. There are a lot of reasons old MTG pros do well at poker, and few of them correlate to it helping a poker pro improve their game.

1. Magic does improve your poker skills. Hand reading, applying math concepts to a game, general game theory.

2. MTG pros are people who were predisposed to the skillset that makes for a good poker player. When the poker boom happened, it was a natural transition.

3. MTG pros grew up playing competitive games for money that is significant to them, and learning how to cope with the pressure and all that comes with that when you are a teenager leads you to head start in the poker world.

4. MTG pros learned how to improve their game through group dialogue and many other techniques that are far more unfamiliar to non MTG players.

5. MTG pros had a pre-existing network of gaming friends to learn poker with.

6. competitive magic players who were successful owed a lot of that success to the ability to adapt quickly to a changing game. This is very, very helpful in the internet age where the poker dynamic shifts regularly. (B&M, internet poker, multitabling, pokertracker analysis, HUDs, etc)

Personally, my first experience with Texas Hold Em was playing with other MTG Pros at a Pro Tour event.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my primary circle of friends and I are all old magic pros/players who are now pro poker players, and there are tons of us. Hanging out at the WSOP was like a reunion of old magic pros...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who? I hung out with a lot of old magic pros past two WSOPs.

[/ QUOTE ] Personally, my first experience with Texas Hold Em was playing with other MTG Pros at a Pro Tour event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with me.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 AM

it is really unsurprising that people who are good at one card game (m:tg) are good at another card game (poker).

when i was young, I played the card game based on the star wars movies (sw:ccg) and went to the world championships of that. it was fun - but expensive.

you can spend your time paying money to play a card game, or you can spend your time being paid to play a card game. i prefer the latter.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, my first experience with Texas Hold Em was playing with other MTG Pros at a Pro Tour event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Does anyone still play? Anyone play online? I was never interested in playing online until i found out if you want you can exchange your online cards for real ones within 4 years of purchase which is pretty cool. I read the online community is pretty small though with only 2-4k playing online at most times.