Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Curious why you say that

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brunson seems to do pretty well without being a math nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

2) Dont believe the hype, Brunson and Chip are both gifted mathematically. Case in point, their sports betting once again. Brunson is a master salesperson, don't take everything for face value, he lets you know what he wants you to know and nothing more; which is part of his brilliance as a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note I said "math NIT" as opposed to "gifted mathematically while also being good at other aspects". I'm not disagreeing with you, just clarifying my point. I really have a hard time seeing Doyle moping around the card room room, requesting table changes, and refusing to give action. I'm just saying, I think it's possible to make as much or more than Sklansky does with a different m.o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky doesnt walk around the room changing tables because he is a math nit, he does it because he wants to sit in a good game where he knows he has an edge. Doyle's table selection is "I get up when I don't have an edge" because there is only one choice live at his limits (different situation online, he plays more online than live it seems lately). Also David probably has ADD which doesn't help. In short they are both "math nits" as you like to call it, one might express it in a different way than the other but both people are rather similar. Ignore what you see on TV, its marketing.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Curious why you say that

[ QUOTE ]
In short they are both "math nits" as you like to call it, one might express it in a different way than the other but both people are rather similar. Ignore what you see on TV, its marketing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the impression about Brunson mainly from his Super System book. I understood him to say that he would knowingly put money in with the worst of it, because in the long run it suited his style profitably. I don't think that's how Sklansky plays.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Why I don\'t like Bellagio

[ QUOTE ]
I may have as much time in Vegas as anyone who doesn't live there over the past 4 or so years. I started staying at Bellagio as the guy who got me started playing poker, played there.

I was always treated well as I progressed up the limits and really enjoyed the quality of the games. So I wound up playing mostly there. After the Wynn opened and the Bellagio upped it's poker rates, the Wynn became my home away from home. The rooms were bigger, brighter and nicer; and I was treated very well by all. The one big problem was the games. The 30/60 didn't run all that often and hardly ever after the WSOP. When it did it was populated with many of my 2+2 buddies that I have gotten to know over the years. While I'm always glad to spend time with them, it doesn't make for a great game.

So last weekend, I decide to head to LV and play some golf and it turns out that the Wynn is booked, but the Bellagio has rooms, so it's back there for the weekend. Yeah, those fancy new chairs didn't hold up so well, it's still a tight fit between the tables, the waitresses don't hold a candle to the Wynn girls and the customer service isn't stellar. But geez Louise, there were at least 4 juicy 30 games going at all times. At one point in time I mentioned to my friend (who is a poster here) that it was staggering to think of the EV that I gave up by staying and playing at the Wynn over the last year and a half.

Maybe the best solution for me is to stay at the Wynn, show my face in the poker room enough to stay in their good graces, then take a cab over to the Bellagio for my serious poker hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean the B upped their poker rates? was it not 10% 4 dollar max?

I love the wynn, but bellagio has some horrible play. it's unfortunate people don't want to spend the time to visit the wynn, where the game is better, girls are hotter, and way more comfortable.

TT, what needs to be done to get the Wynn as the biggest/best poker room? Just better customer/strip flow?

Also, TT, do you know brunson and sklansky? You seem to speak of them with quite some authority.

thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what do you mean the B upped their poker rates? was it not 10% 4 dollar max?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, it's not 10%. Most of their games have a "Schedule". Second, a poker rate is not the same thing as a poker rake. The poker rate is the rate the hotel charges you for a room based on x number of hours recorded per day in the poker room in cash games.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 PM

"what do you mean the B upped their poker rates? was it not 10% 4 dollar max?"

I would really love the Bellagio if their poker-rate was only $4.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, TT, do you know brunson and sklansky? You seem to speak of them with quite some authority.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I know David in a hello, goodbye, and call me when you have a serious question kind of way (and I have - David gives great advice). I know Mason and Mat rather well (I have never discussed this before on 2+2). I have been introduced to Doyle but I don't know him, however I have met a few people who have worked with him over the years on his sports betting schemes, people who have played with him lots over a many year period, people who used to play in his game in Vegas back when 40/80 was the equivelent of 400/800 today would be, etc. Its a tiny poker community, intelligent people tend to flock together - not sure why I am allowed in the flock though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As for the Wynn question, it wont happen at this stage - its too late (if they move the poker room to the center of Encore in the middle of the pit and expand the size it might be able to expand). Its still the #2 room in tow for significant limits which is a good thing, but keep in mind Commerce has more tables running on a Monday morning @7am than the 4 major Vegas rooms combined on a Friday evening. Vegas poker is vastly overrated.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its still the #2 room in tow for significant limits which is a good thing, but keep in mind Commerce has more tables running on a Monday morning @7am than the 4 major Vegas rooms combined on a Friday evening. Vegas poker is vastly overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and there are 5x+ as many people within a few hours of Commerce as there are to Vegas. We have under 2 million between all 3 cities here and surrounding areas. They have 10 million within an hour probably.

I still don't understand the mentality that Vegas is the poker mecca. Too many people watching Rounders and rolling up a stake to head to Vegas I'd imagine.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 PM

interesting side note - I have taken to playing lower mid-limit games in Vegas because I cannot put in the hours necessary because the pots tend to be small, hands 3-way, etc. Send me back east/Commerce and 20/40 is the lowest I will go, you will probably find me in a 40/80 game. Ironic, but in Vegas I play far more online than i do live at this stage - the money is better.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some better reasons why I hate bellagio:

Floor person for the high limit no limit area is often that asian cougar that can't speak English well. Why in God's name would you hire someone to call out names from a list when they can't speak/understand English well AT ALL.

I tell her my name is "Gabriel". She writes down "Mable". The next night I just tell her my initials (GSC). She writes down "BFE". The next night I tell her my initials are GAB, she writes down DAV. I couldn't find a combination of letters/numbers that she could understand. When I would try to correct her, she would get angry and impatient.

What's even worse is her accent is so thick that you can't understand what she's saying half the time.

The old man that takes names down in the front (low limit) area is a huge dousche. He gets mad at me if I ask any question about the list, switching tables, etc.. They all act like they are doing you a favor by doing their job.

Until recently, you could not get a seat without bribing the floor people. I had my name bumped completely from the list 3 nights in a row a year ago. I was watching the list like a hawk and it would just "mysteriously" disappear while players that had just arrived were immediately given seats at 10/25 NL (Or was it 10/20NL, I don't remember?).

Anyway...In my opinion they have become very complacent and rude to their customers.

Oh, and don't even think about getting a comp - Unless you want to grease a floor person $20 for a voucher that is barely worth the size of the bribe.

That place is crap. Too bad players don't get sick of the B.S. and go to the Wynn where they treat you like they actually want your patronage.

Thank God for Commerce (a.k.a. Poker heaven.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this. But I still play there because Bellagio provides the one thing that makes the poker economy run: high rollers.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM

Wow, they still quote me $149 for weeknights, but $279 for weekends. That's a pretty big increase.