Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Flabbergasted in Colma: String Bet Survey

I was under the impression that anyone at the table, in the hand or not, could call a string bet.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:20 AM

What I should have written was "she [Jodi] says that she [the player not in the hand] cannot call a sting bet..."
Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 AM

Basically, the question is what do most card rooms do about people not involved in a hand who call string bets?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I should have written was "she [Jodi] says that she [the player not in the hand] cannot call a sting bet..."

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT YOUR OPPONENT CALLED STRING BET! I know they are both women, which really clouds the issue [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], but even if the other person can't, your opp did. It's not like your opp loses the right to call it just b/c some other tardo yells out.

Tip: Don't string bet.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that anyone at the table, in the hand or not, could call a string bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ultimately the dealer should be responsible for handling this; a player calling string bet doesn't mean anything on it's own. OP mentioned the dealer was a little late, but he called it before any significant action took place, so it's good enough. Dispute obviously goes to the floor.

I do think player not in hand should STFU also, but this shouldn't have any effect on whether this is a string bet or not.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, the question is what do most card rooms do about people not involved in a hand who call string bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

If anything, a short lecture or warning.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM

I think that anyone at the table can call a string bet, but waiting until 15 seconds after the bet was made seems really wrong.

Maybe if you don't want to be called out for string betting you should stop string betting.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 AM

I've never been called for a string bet by a person not in the hand. Hence the "FLABBERGASTED" I wouldn't have minded if my opponent had called the string bet. Capiche?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been called for a string bet by a person not in the hand. Hence the "FLABBERGASTED" I wouldn't have minded if my opponent had called the string bet. Capiche?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Now my opponent says, "string bet."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2007, 12:14 PM

Don't see what's wrong with someone not in the hand calling this. This isn't table talk, it's a rules issue. Is it wrong for another player to alert the dealer if you have a wrong-denomination chip in your bet (i.e. bet "$40" with seven fives and a one)?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM

OP would be happier, maybe, if the person not in the hand had said "you can call that a string bet if you wish" to his opponent rather than just saying "string bet"?

Room rules vary. In some places, only a player in the hand gets to call strings. Dealer stays out of it. In other places, the dealer calls strings, which implies it's a generic rule that any player can demand be enforced.

Regardless, in this case, your opponent in the hand was asking that it be enforced. How she came to ask it be enforced is immaterial.