FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Fred Thompson attacks Fox News for being biased

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem with Fox News isn't that they are biased or that people watch them, but I get the distinct feeling watching Neil Cavuto's eyes or anyone of the other anchors that they know how manipulative they are and take a perverse pleasure in it. Alot of people out there have their political biases reinforced daily by Fox, but nothing is so sadistic as the reveling on the Network knowing that they are steeped in profit from it.

I wouldn't ban it, but I have my moral lines too.

[/ QUOTE ]

CBS, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, you name it, all are biased. Fox is singled out because it is the only one with a conservative bias, but when you look at the things CBS and CNN have been guilty of in their editing or outright use of fake sources, well, that's no good either.

They all present themselves as "fair and balanced" even if Fox is the only channel that actually uses that as their tagline. All have their issues. The people who really care about news will find it (like many on the boards like these on the net).

Basically - Fox-bashing is popular, but to be fair you'd have to equally bash pretty much all mainstream media outlets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you happen to lean to the left, then yes, you're correct. Fox will lose the left just as much as CNN will lose the right. They have their specific demographic, and if you ask me, Fox did one of the smartest things they could do in becoming the only Conservative-leaning cable news networks. There was a huge market of those people just waiting to have an option other than CNN or what have you, and Fox swooped them up.

Its all a business and no one network is truly "worse" than another, just different in how they handle their biases. Cable news is more about entertainment and face time than real "news" as people want it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

CNN/MSNBC are no where near as biased towards the left as Fox News is biased to the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was just about to post this.

Barron
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

CNN/MSNBC are no where near as biased towards the left as Fox News is biased to the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends on where you consider the middle to be. Lots of people think their news sources are unbiased because they agree with their sources.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends on where you consider the middle to be. Lots of people think their news sources are unbiased because they agree with their sources.

[/ QUOTE ]

\thread
Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think anybody who's thinking critically about it thinks that their cable "news" source is "unbiased". The general dislike of Fox News for me is more about their brand of bias. At a high level, CNN seems to be "left" because they feature and highlight more stories with a natural liberal lean. Fox seems to be "right" because they take all stories (liberal, conservative, a-political) and twist them until they have a conservative lean. One is selection bias and the other is manipulation.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Dont all political news stories have both a "right side" and a "left side" to them?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

\thread

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Are you serious? So your position is that it is impossible for one side to actually, objectively be worse because its always just the fault of the viewer who has misplaced "center." Wow is that some lazy thinking. The poster you quoted suggested something that could POSSIBLY be true but gave no support for it, and you respond "/thread." Fantastic.

EDIT: Its even worse, you are saying there is no such thing as truth. Because if there IS such a thing as truth, then how "biased" you are is just an average of how far from the truth you consistently report. Certainly nothing like what the previous poster said. Just because we, individually, might not accurately place the "center" or truth of an issue doesnt mean it doesnt exist or that some networks arent worse than others.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont all political news stories have both a "right side" and a "left side" to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fact: 12.6% of people in the US live in poverty.

This doesn't need commentary or spin to be a liberal leaning story. CNN could run with that fact straight up and it will have the effect of making many people want to help poor people with social programs. Which would get them labeled a "liberal news outlet". Fox could then run the headline of "Bush Considers Introducing Poverty Relief Bill" and that could be true but it took them a little more effort to twist it into a conservative slant.

That's a simple fictional illistration of what I meant by selection bias vs manipulation.