Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 AM

Default Okay, so I have an implied odds hand against a 31/6

I figured I'd call to his minraise because it's most likely a decent hand and I could get paid off if I hit. So I try to get all-in and he just calls my raise? Should I raise less here or should I not raise at all? I figured raising would hopefully get rid of a higher flush draw so I had more clean outs .. but I'm not getting odds to call here on the turn right? This spot pisses me off rly bad because it seems like it should be so easy but I don't like any of my options.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $207.00
BB: $229.20
UTG: $180.45
MP: $67.05
CO: $185.00
Hero (BTN): $409.35

Reads: <font color="blue">31/6, not very aggressive</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $2.00, MP calls $2.00, <font color="red">CO raises to $4.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00, 2 folds, UTG calls $2.00, MP calls $2.00

Flop: ($19) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="red">CO bets $20.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $80.00</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $60.00

Turn: ($179) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets all-in for $101.00</font>, Hero folds
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Okay, so I have an implied odds hand against a 31/6

If you do the math:

against AA/AK/AJ you are a 31% dog. You need 35% to call here. But if you add KK/JJ/KJ to his rainge you are a 18-22% dog. So I think a fold is correct here?!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 AM

It's a good fold. Flop is an easy raise, as the only hand you're realistically worried about is JJ. I think you're crazy if you think people are folding higher flush though with all the dead money in the pot. On the turn, against a 31/6, your pair outs might not be live, so i think you have to fold here.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't see the point of raising the flop here. It looks like he has a big hand, so why not try to hit the turn and get paid instead of getting it in on the flop where you're only aout 50/50?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 PM

I agree strongly with Jedi.

A flop raise is only good if it has fold equity and/or it will buy you a free turn.

As you suspected his minraise made you think he was strong. The pot bet on the flop is another indicator that his distribution is barbelled (really good or complete garbage). I expect a fold or a 3 bet push to your raise on the flop. He instead pulled a stop and go. He let you see a card which is nice, but since you have less equity with only one card to come you need to pitch it.

When your read is that villain likes his hand, don't help him get his money in before you've made your hand, he'll likely pay you off when you get there anyway.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Reads: <font color="blue">31/6, not very aggressive</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $2.00, MP calls $2.00, <font color="red">CO raises to $4.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00, 2 folds, UTG calls $2.00, MP calls $2.00

Flop: ($19) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="red">CO bets $20.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $80.00</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $60.00

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually dont like raising the flop vs this guy. hes not very aggro, yet he bet the with 3 other people in the hand. and hes a 31/6 station so hes hardly ever folding to the rasie. if you just call you might get overcalls from UTG and MP which would be awesome.

if i did raise it would be a push (ya i know its totally obvious what i have now to a decent player) so that i for sure get to see the turn AND river, and we might have slightly more fold equity
Old 09-05-2007, 05:11 PM

just call flop.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i did raise it would be a push (ya i know its totally obvious what i have now to a decent player)

[/ QUOTE ]

i always cringe when i see people say things like this. its NOT obvious. if it was obvious you were drawing when you shove these kinds of flops, you could shove mercilessly with sets and get called all the time. which doesnt happen.

in any case, i agree...flop call looks best.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if i did raise it would be a push (ya i know its totally obvious what i have now to a decent player)

[/ QUOTE ]

if it was obvious you were drawing when you shove these kinds of flops, you could shove mercilessly with sets and get called all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
actually, i do. especially vs this type of villain.