Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Middle Set on Coordinated Board vs Maniac

Playing in a live home game with quarter/half blinds, two players limped in and with $48.50 behind, I called with 3c 3d. A loose maniac to my immediate left called, as did the blinds, making us 6-handed to the flop.

Flop ($3): 2h 3s 5s

The blinds checked, UTG bet $1, the next player called and I made it $5 total with middle set. The maniac called and everyone folded.

Turn ($15): 9s

I bet $8 and the maniac sighed heavily. After a pause, he pushed in, covering me ($35 left and almost 2-to-1 pot odds). About a month ago, I was involved in a hand with the maniac where I had top pair in an unraised pot, and bet the flop and turn OOP. The maniac called me on the flop and sighed heavily before calling the turn (setting off alarm bells in my head). Luckily, a scare card came on the river and I check-folded when the maniac made an obvious value bet. He conceded afterwards that he filled his gutshot on the turn.

The maniac is well-known for pushing with ATC though, and has shown some audacious, winning bluffs this session by pushing in with air. What's the best action to take?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Middle Set on Coordinated Board vs Maniac

[ QUOTE ]
The maniac is well-known for pushing with ATC though, and has shown some audacious, winning bluffs this session by pushing in with air. What's the best action to take?

[/ QUOTE ]

call
Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 PM

This is a pretty obvious scare card. I snap call vs a maniac after betting pot on flop. He's putting you on a made hand, and thinks the flush card can scare you.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 PM

What do you put the maniac on? Remember, it's an unraised pot, the flop is highly coordinated and he cold-called my big raise. To make things worse, the turn brings a third spade...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 PM

When I read "set vs. maniac" I pretty much think "call" without even seeing the post.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you put the maniac on? Remember, it's an unraised pot, the flop is highly coordinated and he cold-called my big raise. To make things worse, the turn brings a third spade...

[/ QUOTE ]

Any ace, 56, 67, any pocket pair, overcards (possibly a nine) thinking that he'll win if he hits/can bluff you if a scare card falls. Call.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I bet $8 and the maniac sighed heavily. After a pause, he pushed in

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at his stupidity, call/fistpump
Old 11-28-2007, 12:24 AM

callcallcallcallcall
Old 11-28-2007, 02:50 AM

My gut feeling was that he wasn't bluffing. I felt that it was most likely he was holding A4 or 46 for a straight.

On the flop, within his range I rule out all overpairs (he would have raised PF even with 66) and top set (I’m almost positive he would 3bet). 2 pair is possible but I still think he would pop. If he had air, which is well within his range, I’m positive he pushes or makes a big 3bet. What made sense to me in this unraised pot is A4 or 46 for a straight. Despite two spades on the board, I can see him flat call here hoping to keep in the first two callers. No question he’s maniac enough to take that chance.

When it becomes heads up with me OOP and the turn brings the third spade, I’m looking for my escape plan. Yes he’s a maniac, but my gut tells me he’s not bluffing here. If I check however, he bets and I’m left wondering as I fold. If I make a big bet, that commits me unwillingly. So I decided to make a defensive bet of half the pot, which seems to be the lesser of three evils. When he sighs heavily, pauses, then pushes, I know he’s got me beat.

After I folded, he mucked his cards but said he had a big hand. He could be lying, but he definitely didn't look like he was. I'm sure he would have shown otherwise. At least I hope so...