Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: social anxiety

I recommend adderall. It should get you into a talkative state. Or you could try Ativan (lorazepam), it's habit-forming, but is great for axiety disorders. If you take too many, you will turn into a zombie and have no clue what happened the next day.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just realized recently that as i get older, my social anxiety is getting worse and worse. i've always had it, but have been able to deawl with it well in the past, and be as normal as possible, but as i get older, i want to go out less and less.

this includes, and strangely enough, is sometimes worse with friends. like i'll have no problem being alone and out and about, or going to a bar, but meeting a group of friends is less and less appealling to me.

does anyone else have this kind of experience? anyone else dealign with this?

how screwed am i?

p.s. i'm poor and therapy is probably not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... big time. i just want to be alone a lot. i go through mood swings, sickkkk mood swings. i'm pretty sure something is wrong with me big time. sometimes i'm absolutely on top of the world for a few days and then it goes the exact opposite for a few.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i just realized recently that as i get older, my social anxiety is getting worse and worse. i've always had it, but have been able to deawl with it well in the past, and be as normal as possible, but as i get older, i want to go out less and less.

this includes, and strangely enough, is sometimes worse with friends. like i'll have no problem being alone and out and about, or going to a bar, but meeting a group of friends is less and less appealling to me.

how screwed am i?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... big time. i just want to be alone a lot. i go through mood swings, sickkkk mood swings. i'm pretty sure something is wrong with me big time. sometimes i'm absolutely on top of the world for a few days and then it goes the exact opposite for a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't go through highs. in fact i can't remember the last time i was really happy. there are days, where i don't feel depressed, but i'm not exactly happy. i've learned how to fake it after years and years. one thing i've discovered, even your closest friends don't want to deal with a miserable bastard all the time.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:36 PM

Lay off the weed...
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM

I am basically you, but younger and maybe a little worse.

I've always been like this but it's been getting worse. Never had a girlfriend, barely have any friends, all because meeting/being around new people makes me super nervous/awkward.

Doing anything in social settings I basically avoid; whether it be school functions, going out to bars, hell even going to class makes me anxious/nervous and I don't even talk to anyone.

It's bad enough that I don't see myself ever having a relationship with the opposite sex unless I get on meds or go to therapy. I don't see that happening anytime soon because I like to tell myself I'm just introverted, and taking action like that would blow it up into a real problem.

Every day is a struggle with something like this; I do think it goes with depression too. I could make a case that I've mildly depressed since early high school (I'm 22 now), in terms of a constant pessimism about life, thinking about death and life's pointlessness often, etc.

Let me know if you find a quick cure! lol
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

how screwed am i?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't go through highs. in fact i can't remember the last time i was really happy. there are days, where i don't feel depressed, but i'm not exactly happy. i've learned how to fake it after years and years. one thing i've discovered, even your closest friends don't want to deal with a miserable bastard all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, also me exactly.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lay off the weed...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely the truth; I've smoked on and off for years and anymore, smoking just amplifies my anxiousness big time. I'll get lost in a spiral of thinking about all my issues and it'll get really overwhelming.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be a sign of bipolar disorder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

It's actually a pretty dangerous disease if so and I wouldn't hesitate to talk to a doctor. Extremely high suicide rate, major relationship issues, etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:01 PM

i started taking paxil for this issue like 3+ years ago, worked well for me.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am basically you, but younger and maybe a little worse.

I've always been like this but it's been getting worse. Never had a girlfriend, barely have any friends, all because meeting/being around new people makes me super nervous/awkward.

Doing anything in social settings I basically avoid; whether it be school functions, going out to bars, hell even going to class makes me anxious/nervous and I don't even talk to anyone.

It's bad enough that I don't see myself ever having a relationship with the opposite sex unless I get on meds or go to therapy. I don't see that happening anytime soon because I like to tell myself I'm just introverted, and taking action like that would blow it up into a real problem.

Every day is a struggle with something like this; I do think it goes with depression too. I could make a case that I've mildly depressed since early high school (I'm 22 now), in terms of a constant pessimism about life, thinking about death and life's pointlessness often, etc.

Let me know if you find a quick cure! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, i feel like you're missing on the fundamental experiences of college. being social. luckily i was able to restrain a lot of my social anxiety during these years.

is there therapy available to students at your school? i would look into that. i would go see someone if i could afford to, but i can't right now.