Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 AM

Default $10 FTP - Late coinflip

We are last 54 players with the first 27 on the money.
Really tight table: the villain has loose a coinflip a couple of hands before and now need to make a move.
My situation is better but basically with a M=7 I need to make a move too.
Here I shove knowing that the villain range is any pair, any face card, Ax, Kx, T9s+, TJo+.
Standard?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t120/t240
(Ante: t25)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t2160
UTG+1: t1210
MP1: t4370
MP2: t10160
Hero: t2290
CO: t3440
Button: t4855
SB: t7505
BB: t6300

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to t480</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t2265</font>, 4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 calls all-in t705</font>.
Uncalled bets: t1080 returned to Hero.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Re: $10 FTP - Late coinflip

The only thing I don't like in these situations is where its clear villain should push, but min-raises instead. Also, your M is actually around 4, so even without a loose read this is such an easy shove.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I don't like in these situations is where its clear villain should push, but min-raises instead. Also, your M is actually around 4, so even without a loose read this is such an easy shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your first sentence (which would tend me to fold really fast). However, your second sentence is awful and contradictory to your first. Why would you push and lose half your stack if you think UTG+1 has a huge hand.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Awful? I wouldn't go that far. Read is that villain is loose, your M is low, and 99 really stands to be the best hand in such a spot. Not contradictory either, because I never said UTG+1 has a huge hand, only that its something worth noting. You can't seriously be folding here, and a call is plain bad; villain is prob shoving any flop.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 AM

actually, OP said that villain has "loose" a coinflip so he needs to make moves. I'll assume that english is not OP's first language so I guess he meant lost a coinflip and now he needs to make a move.

Why can't you be folding here. Seriously? If you put villain on a huge hand, why would folding be terrible?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 AM

I see what you're saying. Its not terrible. Obv if my read is good enough to put villain on a huge hand, I'm folding. I'd have to be OP to know that for certain though. However, though I maybe misinterpreting OP again, it seems as though he assigned a fairly loose range to villain. "any face card, Ax, Kx, T9s+, TJo+." If thats the case, instashove.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:06 AM

Shove, you're overthinking it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 AM

First of all sorry for my bad english! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
The problem here is the trade off between waiting for a better spot or calling a possible coinflip: I really don't think that villain is raising half of his stack with nothing.
Usually who play in this way has an huge hand and is hoping to get action so YNnOs is right to be worried: Skyes is right also when he affirm to fold because of this.
So I must assume to have done an aggressive overplay here?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Meh, I def don't agree that UTG+1 needs to have a huge hand to be minraising with a 5 BB stack - there's tons of guys who likes to get cute and "look strong" with a minraise. Readless, I'm inclined to give a minraise a tiny bit more respect, but usually not when villain is _this_ short. I'm shipping it in here.