Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 12:59 AM

Default The Poker MBA

Wow! I just finished reading the Poker MBA and all I can say is that it was one of the best business books that I have ever read. There are excellent advice for sales, managing people, picking partners and managing partnerships, bankroll management and capital structuring.

Since this is not a pure poker book I wouldn't be surprised if Mason Malmuth never give it a score of more than 6. But regardless, I recommend this book very highly.

Unfortunately, it came out right before the boom and never really got to ride the wave. If the co-authors are reading this post, I hope they re-release it (perhaps with a second edition) as if it were released for the very first time. Its a shame that it missed out the first time around.

BTW, the books that the co-author (Jeffrey Gitomer) has written since are constantly in the top five of marketing and sales books on Amazon.

The Poker MBA is a MUST read.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: The Poker MBA

I gave it an 8. But it does have some serious errors. For instance, the Game Theory chapter has nothing to do with Game Theory.

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, it came out right before the boom and never really got to ride the wave. If the co-authors are reading this post, I hope they re-release it (perhaps with a second edition) as if it were released for the very first time. Its a shame that it missed out the first time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I declined the book not to long ago. In my opinion it has very little sales potential.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I declined the book not to long ago. In my opinion it has very little sales potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mason,

Do you keep a list of titles that you have rejected to see if they get taken by other publishers and how they sell?

Have you ever taken a manuscript that has been turned down elsewhere?

Do you give recommendations to other publishers or recommend publishers to authors whose manuscripts you turn down?

Thanks,

B.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you keep a list of titles that you have rejected to see if they get taken by other publishers and how they sell?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever taken a manuscript that has been turned down elsewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But we have published books, Sklansky on Poker comes to mind that other publishers failed to get out, or dropped from their publications such as The Theory of Poker. We have also given authors a chance, Ed Miller comes to mind, who failed to catch on with other publishers before they contacted us.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you give recommendations to other publishers or recommend publishers to authors whose manuscripts you turn down?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have at times mentioned other publishers to a book author. Usually it's because their topic is something we don't do.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I gave it an 8. But it does have some serious errors. For instance, the Game Theory chapter has nothing to do with Game Theory.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Schoonmaker working on a similar "poker is business is poker" metaphor book? Any updates?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't Schoonmaker working on a similar "poker is business is poker" metaphor book? Any updates?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Best Poker Friend is Alan's newest book to be published. Its due in a few weeks. He did tell me he was working on an additional book.
Mike