Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Yo does that Poker EV thing work???

sick, it cant be right. Considering you get your money in when behind, and still profit, its got nothing to do with EV.......right?

Or does it mean that you are sick bad postflop and take 90% of flops down that way?

sick
Old 09-04-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Run bad
2. Get the money all-in bad
3. ?????
4. exponential profit

[censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah looking at this graph just makes me sad
Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 AM

going to showdown with the best hand is so pre-legislation
Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 AM

My graph isn't filtered or whatever anyway. Obviously it's not half as sick as kotkis though.

and Asheh, sure it has something to do with EV. You seem to have figured out the answer too, kotkis (and me to a lesser extent) make up for the bad/pretty bad showdown winnings by winning pots that aren't shown down.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 AM

Does the showdown EV/Winnings only include pots where you are all-in before the river, or does it calculate your EV/Winnings for every street and every bet of every pot that goes to showdown?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:36 AM

No filters in my graph either. I don't really want to go out of my way to post PT screens just to illustrate how I play, but I can tell you that the most prominent feature you would see is my high WWSF (typically around 52) number compared to my relatively low W$@SD (around 48). This is explained by thin value-betting, as people who check a lot of winners behind on the river are going to have much higher WSD and W$@SD numbers than me. Thin value-betting in turn allows me to bluff more frequently without throwing balance out of the window. It's true that my graph would most likely not be as extreme as it is if I were playing lower stakes, but that doesn't mean that people would do better against me simply by calling me down more often. Rather I'm first forcing my opponents to play tight by getting every bit of value I can find, and then consequently punish them by leveraging my showdown equity into pushing them out of smaller pots.

Also to clear up some confusion, that's not my August graph but July's. The effect talked about in this thread is similiar in all of my graphs but I chose to post the July one because it's one big upswing instead of the zig-zag pattern that was my August (posted in the monthly graph thread if anyone is interested).
Old 09-04-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No filters in my graph either. I don't really want to go out of my way to post PT screens just to illustrate how I play, but I can tell you that the most prominent feature you would see is my high WWSF (typically around 52) number compared to my relatively low W$@SD (around 48). This is explained by thin value-betting, as people who check a lot of winners behind on the river are going to have much higher WSD and W$@SD numbers than me. Thin value-betting in turn allows me to bluff more frequently without throwing balance out of the window. It's true that my graph would most likely not be as extreme as it is if I were playing lower stakes, but that doesn't mean that people would do better against me simply by calling me down more often. Rather I'm first forcing my opponents to play tight by getting every bit of value I can find, and then consequently punish them by leveraging my showdown equity into pushing them out of smaller pots.

Also to clear up some confusion, that's not my August graph but July's. The effect talked about in this thread is similiar in all of my graphs but I chose to post the July one because it's one big upswing instead of the zig-zag pattern that was my August (posted in the monthly graph thread if anyone is interested).

[/ QUOTE ]

Adopt me.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

madness

[/ QUOTE ]

Madness?....... THIS..IS....KOTKIS!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

madness

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome
Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

madness

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

haha