Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM

Default $20+2 NHLE HU Tourney: 4th Street Logic

VILLAIN is playing great heads-up poker. Sticking in check-raises, not too loosely nor tightly, mixing up betting lines and keeping me off balance but not crazily. Could very well be a 2+2'er.

HERO has been on the opposite side of the momentum swing. I've been playing normal aggressive HU but probably closer to the tight tank than loose land. Check-raising only once or twice the last 40 hands or so.

$20+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Match Round II, Level I (10/20) - 2007/10/24 - 15:05:21 (ET)
Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: VILLAIN (1845 in chips)
Seat 2: HERO (1155 in chips)
VILLAIN posts small blind 10
HERO posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
VILLAIN: calls 10
HERO: checks
6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
HERO: bets 20
VILLAIN: calls 20
6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
HERO: checks
VILLAIN: bets 20
HERO: raises 100 to 120
VILLAIN: raises 160 to 280

HERO: ???

500 in the pot, 160 to call

Current stacks~
Villain: 1525
Hero: 955
Choices:

A) Shove. I am at LEAST calling here, which at least reduces my stack to 800ish, meanwhile 660 in the pot. A raise offers villain roughly 800:1450 odds, or 5:9, blocking any of the draws or counter-fitting (assuming he has a pair) and simultaneously killing implied odds on river obv.

B) Call. Look for a red brick on river and check/call. A king with a good kicker will no doubt bet with a river 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] not to mention the busted-draw-bluff equity.

C) Fold. My check-raises have been minimal and thus demanding respect, plus folding now would leave me intact with a grand and blinds still newborn at 10-20.

Advice?

Any commentary on the best line would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: $20+2 NHLE HU Tourney: 4th Street Logic

I don't know how great villain is if he is limping in here and then minbetting the turn...He may have great reasons to do this but it would be a rare exception to the rule.

I don't know why you chose to check raise on the turn as I think a free card would be very damaging to you. I think it would be very difficult to know how to play if a spade, club, 5, 3 or 7 came on the river. You are most likely ahead right now, the King was a pretty good card because it did not complete any draws and could have given your opponent a top pair hand he may be willing to call big bets with. I would have bet pot on the turn and value bet any safe river and block bet a dangerous one.

Since you and this opponent have been mixing it up and your read suggests that he is aggressive I think he would be tempted to call with any K here and some pocket pairs. Though every once in a while you should expect to get shown K4, just say nice hand and move on.
I would shove
Old 10-25-2007, 10:14 AM

I shove this turn.

btw I hate your turn c/r, as the poster above me said, giving a free card here is pretty bad.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I shove this turn.

btw I hate your turn c/r, as the poster above me said, giving a free card here is pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Couple questions:

Why are you paying 10% rake?

What kind of structure is this? You said you hadn't c/r much in the last 40 or so hands, but the blinds are at 10-20.

I bet a little more on flop and bet the turn usually. If I've been stabbing a ton and I know he's betting 100% when I check the turn I can go for the c/r if I feel he's usually weak there, but only because I don't think he calls a lot of my turn leads. Std. is bet turn.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:09 AM

I know checking the turn is abnormal / donkish. However I've been stabbing a lot of flops with c-bets. I was relying on villain to semi-bluff on the turn with draws, stone-cold on the king, etc. On a few instances when abandoning the lead on the turn villain would convert. However, in this hand I felt he either had overcards (where the K hit him juicily) or a draw (where I was banking on c/r'ing the turn). But yeah, I'll look like a fish if he checks and another black baby shows up on 5th.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 AM

I generally want to know villain is going to bet the turn fairly big if I do this and that he is weak a great % of the time in this position, therefore the only way I can get chips out of him (most of the time) is to check/raise check/call (depending on board texture).

This is often the case of villains that float a lot of flops but fold to many 2 barrels.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:40 AM

All good points. I suppose the 4th street check in hipes of c/r is risky, but I was confident he would bet.

Villain held K J btw.
I shoved he called, and my hand held.