Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Another AK-preflop-question (live-MTT) - please start to flame me ;-)

Local $200-MTT live-tourney, 25 started, 13 are remaining, 5 are paid. The blinds are 60/120, increasing every 20 minutes. I was rather card-dead and had played just three hands so far, showed down only one hand (AQs). The table was 7-handed, players were loose open-limping but more selective when cold-calling a pf-raise.

OK, let´s start: UTG (shortstack with slightly more than 1k) puts one $500- and one $20-chip in the middle. The dealer asks him if this was a raise. UTG quickly shakes his head and say "No, no ... it was just a call!". The dealer accepts and moves on. I´m the next with 2.8k left and look down to A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I make it 400 to go and the player directly to my left pushes with 3k. Everybody folds and the early limper calls!!

What am I doing now? What hand-ranges do you assign to the shover and the limper? Is my AKo good enough to call this - getting about 1.7:1? Is it better to wait for a better spot - still (but not for long!) having a healthy (while significantly below average) stack?

Thanks for your comments!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Another AK-preflop-question (live-MTT) - please start to flame me ;-)

I think this is a fold.

1st problem is the limper - who has about 8BB (M=5) limps and calls a push - this is a very strong hand.

2nd problem is the pusher, who has an UTG limp by a shortstack and a raise - this should be another strong hand.

So I think there are 3 possible scenarios:

1.) both play a PP - at least one of them is likely to have a high one (AA or KK)
If both play a PP <KK your odds are 1:1,63
one of them has KK - your odds are 1:2,85
one of them has AA - your odds are 1:13,70

2.) One of them plays a PP and the other one also AK
you get odds of 1:4,55 and worse

unlikely 3.)
One plays AQ and the other a PP
PP <KK - 1:2 - worse if KK,AA of course

So from all these scenarios it's the only one where both play a PP lower than KK where you get the right odds for a call.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Another AK-preflop-question (live-MTT) - please start to flame me ;-)

Call all day 50 vs any hand but aces and kings never fold this in live donkament espically with those odds.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Another AK-preflop-question (live-MTT) - please start to flame me

Fold , if UTG is solid , i rarely see solid players from utg limp/snapcall-allin preflop with anything else than AA/KK
If UTG is loose-passive Callingstation-Donk(do they still exist?), i snapcall

against the pusher, i call all day because we´re very likely to be dominating him very hard...
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM

Don't ever fold this.

Especially in a live donkament.

By the way, the caller clearly has very clue what's going on as that was clearly a raise.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the caller clearly has very clue what's going on as that was clearly a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking. He probably has a hand like A9o and is thinking to himself "ACE!!! I'm gonna trap those idiots hardcore".

Also, the range of the villain behind you is pretty wide ... notice that there are 2 pots to play here. A mainpot and a sidepot. If you are ahead of the first all-in villain, you can practically freeroll for the mainpot.

Stacks are not deep enough to even consider folding here.