Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Small blind question.

Quick question, when your in the small blind how many limpers does it take to make calling the half bet with junk like 62o for it to be a correct call? Quite often if i see maybe two limpers and im in the small blind i will auto-call with any two cards. Is this wasting money in the long run?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Small blind question.

There is no situation where you want to be calling with junk in the SB.

You are not only in the worst position on the table, you ability to make any pot-deciding plays is all but entirely removed.

A large part of why so many $5NL donks consistently lose is because of too much loose auto-calling when preflop pots get big. This is also a large part of why we win, because we fold when our preflop hands aren't +EV.

Stick to your range, and in the SB, your range should be at it's tightest.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:43 PM

Point taken. Another leak plugged. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Better plugged now than later!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 PM

I loosen up a little bit. For example I won't limp with suited connectors lower than 78 as a general rule. Say i'm .25 to call into the big blind of .50 with four limpers behind me, i'll limp in with any suited connectors at all.

When you hit, you get paid as a general rule.

But calling with BS is a waste of time. Say you have 6-2 and the flop comes 3-6-9, you married to that hand? You have to hit two pair to get paid in that situation, and that just isn't going to happen very often.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks to the OP for asking that question and, of course, for the replies. When I've seen 5 or 6 limpers before me and I only need to make half a bet I think "hey, at these odds lets see the flop" - so leak fixed here too.

In fact, on reflection, I don't think it's the small bet that gets me - but all the times I hit something half decent on the flop that I can't let go. Yes, I have been very dumb!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's the small bet that gets me - but all the times I hit something half decent on the flop that I can't let go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that'll kill you. I think it's OK to call in these situations, as long as you have a VERY firm idea of what you need to hit on the flop - say you call with Q6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You want top pair and a queen, two or three [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or two sixes to get involved post flop, something like that.

It's when you hit one six to go with a 2 and an 8 that you find yourself in the shtook.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Interesting to note also that if you take a look at the PokerTracker positional stats of the vast majority of winning players, they play a great deal less hands from the small blind than any other position.

You can't underestimate the importance of this. Remember, when you call preflop in the small blind, you're the first to act on the flop. You don't get the luxury of being able to get a sense of where your opponents are at in the hand, and don't have the luxury of making any moves or setting traps. This in itself cuts into your EV.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:16 AM

I think the answers so far are too simplistic.

Are you talking cash or tourneys? Because in tourneys calling in SB with 6 limpers is fine (even advisable early in game with miniscule blind levels). As the blind levels rise so your range should get a little tighter but they would need to be very large for me not to call a small blind after 6 limpers.

Be prepared to fold marginal catches on the flop though – that is the art.

Cash games will be a much more mathematical consideration.

Finally, yes 62o is real garbage but your range should be much looser calling in SB after so many limpers. You are not looking for such premium hands as if you were 1st to act.

Not as easy a decision as many of the posters have said.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:33 AM

I made a similar post to this a while back. The feedback was mostly the same as this. Muck them. This has saved me a lot