Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Pre-Flop

Let's put it this way: I think the odds of me getting chips in when ahead, as opposed to behind, are much higher when I hit a pair in a small pot and somebody hits a worse pair.

edit: if *that* is the read and there is no way he is bluffing at this point, I agree, a raise is much better than I've been saying.

edit 2: but if that's the read, I'm kinda disappointed in the rest of the hand because 'hey, that's a T92 flop, I wonder if he could possibly be ahead of me here, yep, check'.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Wrong thread I think
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1

[ QUOTE ]

If CO is as tight as we think, I could already be behind. However, with this hand, I want to see a flop, but it isn't god enough to risk too many chips at this point (because of the tightness of CO).

[/ QUOTE ]

So tight players don't limp with hands worse than AJ suited?
What kind of tight player is that?

I really don't see why AJ suited is "already behind" here.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Okay, its just not my experience that "name pro" players will be constantly raising out of the blinds and out of position in deep stacked games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played twice w/ Miami John now in large buy in events. Both times he was to my direct left. He is the definition of solid pro who knows values. IMO, if I raise to t600, he's not playing less than a pair or AQ out of position, not closing the action preflop. If he was on the button, it's a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are really giving up a lot by starting to worry about insane things just because they are a pro whose name youve heard of.

For the most part a lot of these guys just play solid poker (by this I don't mean they never bluff, but that they are not completley insane and coming over the top early and often with nothing) and are well known because they have been playing on the tournament circuit for a long time and thus have a lot of victories. To alter the way you play this hand because of some guy with any 2 in the SB is really playing scared.

The player you should be worried about is the cutoff, he is the one who announced he has a hand worth limping and is the main concern at this point.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Fair enough. I got the wrong definition of 'solid' stuck in my head, I think. Next time I'll ask to clarify that first.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:33 AM

I would simply call. The main problem with raising is that I cannot call a reraise, so it would make no sense for me to raise if I have no guarantee that everyone will fold. AJ is not a hand to build the pot with.

It gets better. With a hand like AJ suited on the button, I can even call a decent raise from the SB or the BB since I'll have position after the flop. If SB or BB raises an enormous amount, then I'll give credit that they're not just squeeze playing and fold. If SB or BB raises for me, I'd be happy if CO calls because I'm probably not in too good shape but I have great odds and position. If CO folds, then I'm still happy because I have position heads-up with AJ. If CO reraises, I'm STILL happy because I can now fold with no regrets. If nobody raises, I'm STILL happy because AJ suited isn't that great to begin with and it plays nice multiway.

No matter what happens, it can't go wrong. I'm limping.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:35 AM

You probably shouldn't limit your raises to only hands you can call a reraise with. If everyone folds to you on the button and you have A4s, it usually makes sense to raise, although you may have to fold if reraised. Also it makes you pretty predictable if you only raise with the absolute best hands.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:47 AM

Ok, I said it wrong. AJ suited on the button is a hand that I don't WANT to fold to a reraise but I have to anyways. There are plenty of hands that are raisable but have no regrets folding to a reraise. AJ suited will leave a bad taste in my mouth when I could have had a multiway pot with nice cards or heads up to a single raise with dead money in it in great position.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:19 AM

Missing info - What is our table image?
Still very early in the tournament.
I raise 300, making it 450 to go.
This should get me heads up but if not that's ok.
CO range is very wide and will be further defined from his call/raise/fold. He appears to looking for a cheap flop so hands that fit that mold are his range.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:29 AM

With uknown players it is hard to define a range.
Standard would be as suggested above-somewhere along the line Any PP,A-(K-9), A-xs, Broadways and 1 gap suits.

It is sometimes good play to limp from co because of its deceptivness, and its good for establishing a read.
I would splitt the limp 4 ways
1.Crap hand-but set up for repping AA-KK to any raises or weakness
2. Good, but not excellent hand which is for some reason not elected to attempt a steal with or at least charge an amount to stay in for. Maybe a read, some reason?
3.Semidecent/weakish hand which is brought into play cheaply, and to keep button from stealing and accumulating.(One will face alot of though decisions against the players to immideate left and right, dont give them anything free)
4.Slowplayed AA-KK.
(Offcourse any of the above could be played as rep AA-KK slowplayed)

Things to consider: he is big stack, and could actually try a steal with anything, but has elected not to. But he wants to be inn the hand.

AJs. Against a fairly broad range as suggested and two random hands co:26% AJs:36,5% Sb:17% bb:20,5%
Against AA_KK co:50%, AJs:23,5% Sb and bb 13% each.

Pot is 75+150+150=375

To me a raise of 450-550 will not produce alot of information.What is it one whishes to acomplish with a raise? Stealing the blinds? I rather feel it will leave room for moves. Button could put on the squeese. Co could reraise and both raises are though to call. I`d rather limp and wait to see sb and bb actions, and if any raises co`s response. I want to see a flopp with this hand, but as cheap as possible. One should already be thinking far into the hand. What type of flopp do we want? If an A flopp we are left with a though decision, if a J flopps as top card we have a though decision.If there is a straight draw or flush draw( other then our suite)its a difficult decision.If it is rags its a difficult decision.
To continue with the hand we are hoping to flopp something that will be strong enough to bust AA or favour ourselves against the possible range. Which is a longshot.

The second approach is repping something big ourselves. I might choose to do so sometimes. Bring it up a good size,leaving odds of 1:1,5 to any caller-at least it leaves the message dont get tricky with me. It discourages moves from those without balls of steel, and it`s real easy to be done with the hand if anyone comes over the top.But I prefer moves like this in different situations and in later stages. Sometimes I would just fold and pay attention as there will most likely be a flopp, or some action that will leave some information about the players.

I favour call 60%, fold raise 20% each If I call or raise I`d do so without much hesitation