Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Spending about $150 on a friend's wedding gift and cigar/cigar products are what I'd like to do. He has a barebones humidor, an expensive lighter but that's it. He is not an expert but he probably has preferences I'm unaware of. I'm not going to ask him what he likes as it would ruin the surprise. Spend my $150 for me.

Unrelated Question #1: If an inexperienced smoker gets sick after smoking, how likely is it that it's related? If anything at all, what are they doing wrong?

Unrelated Question #2: I hate how the smell gets underneath my fingernails/hard to wash out of my hands. Prevention? Remedying the problem once it has already occurred?

Unrelated Question #3: When for whatever reason you get an uneven light how should you fix this? Just smoke through it or relight it?

[/ QUOTE ]

For 150, I would recommend getting him a Nice Cutter/Punch and a box fo Cigars. You say he has a nice lighter already, so a nice Cutter is a great thing to get. Personally I have a Xikar Xi2 and I really like it. You can get it at most cigar stores, I posted a list above, just price check them and get the best price.

For the Cigar Box, I love the Patel Vintages, so I can't argue with that recommendation.

As for the other questions, I still get a little woozy after some of the stronger cigars, but I hope that goes away. Never the Vintages though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] . Not sure what to tell you about the smell, I just smoke like one a day and I have a terrible sense of smell anyway.

C-Dog
Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try http://www.coh-hk.com for Cubans.

I think the prices are good.

I have never ordered from them, but I have heard they are very reliable from people I know irl.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered a small box of 15 Montecristos, and they got stuck in the customs, meaning I had to pay around the same amount as their value on in the shop to get em. So if you live in EU, you can certainly get a better bargain.

That aside, the product seems genuine and the service was great with the tracking codes and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought from this site and had no problems whatsoever. I did however have to go to the post office to pick up the package which gave me a little angst, but they didn't know what was in it and there were no problems.

Which makes me wonder, exactly how much trouble would I have been in if the Post office knew they were Cubans?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:27 PM

I dunno about that. I believe there is a fine just for having them in your possession though. Good to know they made it through to ya.

C-Dog
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Good and informative cigar review page, mostly Cubans:

http://www.cigars-review.org/
Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM

I'm not a avid smoker, but when I do light one up I like a good smoke. Anyone try 'La Aroma de Cuba'? I have the Corona Minor's and I'll say it's a quality smoke for the price.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 AM

little bump I guess,

I always wondered why some cigars made me dizzy as hell, some of them have taken me out of commission for a while. I'll smoke it, and then 10 minutes later I go to bed.

But, the vintage Rocky Patel (my favorite) didn't have that affect on me either. The Montecristo I tried did, I think the Romeo Y julieta did as well.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
little bump I guess,

I always wondered why some cigars made me dizzy as hell, some of them have taken me out of commission for a while. I'll smoke it, and then 10 minutes later I go to bed.

But, the vintage Rocky Patel (my favorite) didn't have that affect on me either. The Montecristo I tried did, I think the Romeo Y julieta did as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that what you're describing is technically called "nicotine poisoning." Different cigars have different amounts of nicotine, and it can have a nauseating effect on you if you're not used to it.

That said, I thought Montecristo's had a reputation as being relatively mild (in both flavor and "strength"). I think it's more likely that you get that nauseous feeling when you smoke a cigar without having eaten much beforehand.

-McGee
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Taso, I just realized that there is some good discussion of this earlier in the thread.

-McGee
Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM

lol yeah, I read that stuff and was just refering to that. The eating before hand is interesting - I've been...broke, as of late, so the whole food thing is a little tricky. Of course, you have to wonder why I'm paying $10 for a cigar when I'm eating the 2:30am give away donuts from Dunkin Donuts... I may need to get my priorities straight.

Anywho, a friend of mine has a good Cuban Cigar hook up through his dad, and I'm going to have my first cuban cigar tonight - I expect to be dissapointed, I don't think I'm intelligent enough (cigar wise) to appreciate a cuban cigar as much as others do. Either way, I'll make sure to eat a lot before hand :P
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spending about $150 on a friend's wedding gift and cigar/cigar products are what I'd like to do. He has a barebones humidor, an expensive lighter but that's it. He is not an expert but he probably has preferences I'm unaware of. I'm not going to ask him what he likes as it would ruin the surprise. Spend my $150 for me.

Unrelated Question #1: If an inexperienced smoker gets sick after smoking, how likely is it that it's related? If anything at all, what are they doing wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

The sick feeling that you get is because nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. It makes all the blood vessles in your body, including your stomach, where a lot of smoke and nicotine end up, constrict. They are trying to limit how much nicotine goes in. As the other poster mentioned. Eat some sugar which is a vasodialator. It will counter the effect.

I remember a great cigar that I smoked in AC at Caesars. La Flor Double Ligero. Its like a Maduro with a double fermented wrapper. As another poster mentioned, La Flor have a wicked nicotine kick and after about half I felt sick as a dog. Good think that at Caesars they have those free little cups of chocolates. One cup later, plus 1 free coke and I was as good as new.

Greg