Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Senator\'s Response to Letter on Internet Gambling Act

FYI.....Here is Senator Vitter's response to the form email I sent opposing the proposed legislation.

Dear Mr. *********,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to legislation that will prohibit online gambling. I appreciate hearing your concerns on this important issue.

As you may know, the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act has been introduced to update regulations governing Internet gambling. These regulations would prohibit players from placing online bets with credit cards, electronic transfers, and checks. Much of this legislation is also targeted at preventing Internet gambling from being used for money laundering.

While I understand your concerns about this legislation, state attorneys general, professional and amateur sports leagues, and the Department of Justice all agree that some federal legislation is needed to clarify federal law that Internet gambling businesses are illegal. The anonymity of internet gambling can provide a haven for criminals. I am also concerned that there are currently no mechanisms in place to prevent children - who make up the largest percentage of Internet users - from using their parents' credit card numbers to register and set up accounts for use at Internet gambling sites. I have consistently opposed gambling, and I believe this legislation is needed to address the explosive growth in Internet gambling.

Although we may disagree on this particular issue, I sincerely appreciate hearing your opinion. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about other issues important to you.

Sincerely,

Senator David Vitter
United States Senator

P.S. Please visit my webiste to sign up for E-Updates and receive regular email updates from me on the issues important to Louisiana families.