Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next year who do you want pitching a GAME 7 in the playoffs and feel like yes that guy is gonna be lights out.
Hughes...no
Joba...no
Kennedy...no
Wang...not really
Andy....yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was that guy from '96-'00? Other than Cone for the last couple of months of '96, the Yankees never had a super dominant, lights out starter on their World Series winning teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

news flash...its not 96-00
can it be done...yes

but it sure would be nice to have Beckett/Santana/etc as our number one.

I'll will wager( eventhough I am a diehard Yankee fan)

if our starting 5 is Andy/Joba/Hughes/Kennedy/Moose next year
we dont make the playoffs
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree with the views of Thay3r etc but I do think most Yankee fans view their prospects with a best case scenario type of view.

I.E. Joba/Hughes can be awesome...thus they will be

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I remember Kyleb saying that the FLOOR of Phil Hughes was a #2 SP. well, that's pretty LOL. his floor is Mark Prior, or Kerry Wood, or any other young pitcher that gets hurt and is never quite the same, and at any rate is not a good productive pitcher for all his cheap years.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
news flash...its not 96-00

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a...compelling argument.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM

Its gonna suck seeing Rowand in a Yankees uniform. He is extremely frustrating, but you gots to love him. He is too cool to play for the Yankees, trade for JD drew or some other dbag.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 PM

I would be all for trading for JD Drew.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree with the views of Thay3r etc but I do think most Yankee fans view their prospects with a best case scenario type of view.

I.E. Joba/Hughes can be awesome...thus they will be

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I remember Kyleb saying that the FLOOR of Phil Hughes was a #2 SP. well, that's pretty LOL. his floor is Mark Prior, or Kerry Wood, or any other young pitcher that gets hurt and is never quite the same, and at any rate is not a good productive pitcher for all his cheap years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a silly argument. Santana could easily get hurt as well, and the impact on a teams financials of a Hughes getting hurt is like a zillion times less than a Santana.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

well given this is mainly off of ESPN/CBS/and other web sites but I've never seen Kennedy mentioned as a having great stuff or B being anything more than a solid middle of the rotation pitcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a reason why he was picked in the first round. if solid mid-rotation was all you could ask for at his PEAK, he would not be drafted #21.

he has four legit very good to very-very good pitches, even if his fastball is 89-92 his control upgrades it quite a bit. plus, it appears that he can get it upto 94-95, but his control is much better if he doesn't. he has also reportedly developed a two-seamer last year.

if he is a solid #3 for the yankees for 10 years and possibly #1 or #2 for 1-2 years, that's awesome. i don't know why you'd package him with your other best pitcher and a great CF and ship him for a huge contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was drafted in the first round because he was an advanced college arm, who put up great results for USC. He would be expected to be a low-risk signing, who could reach the majors quickly and contribute at a reasonable level. "Reasonable" being as a #3 or #4 starter. His raw stuff was seen as just about average, but it had a chance to play up due to his control. Where'd you hear that his ceiling was anywhere near Mussina or Maddux? That's a fairly ridiculous thing to say. People draft players like Royce Ring in the first round because they think there's less gamble in them producing on a big league level, it happens all the time in virtually every draft. "Signability" also has a lot to do with that.

Kennedy's four pitches are pretty far from "very very good". If the planets align maybe he could pitch as a #2 starter on a contender, but the chances of that are pretty slim.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 PM

That starting five rotation... with AROD POSADA AND MARIANO coming back should make the playoffs just fine... plus they obviously can snag a #4 starter at anypoint from a small market team.... if they weren't DESTROYED by injuries early in the year they would have won the division
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That starting five rotation... with AROD POSADA AND MARIANO coming back should make the playoffs just fine... plus they obviously can snag a #4 starter at anypoint from a small market team.... if they weren't DESTROYED by injuries early in the year they would have won the division

[/ QUOTE ]

And we think we won't be fubarded by injuries next year becuse Damon, Hideki, Giambi, Pettite, Moose, Mo are all going on the HGH?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll will wager( eventhough I am a diehard Yankee fan)

if our starting 5 is Andy/Joba/Hughes/Kennedy/Moose next year
we dont make the playoffs

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take it.