Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Suggestions/Discussion on Future Writing Competitions

I really enjoyed the recent writing competition. Some great stories were written and it got me back into creative writing again, which is excellent. I'm even planning to sign up for a course at NYU this summer.

At the end of the final voting thread, there was a bit of discussion on future competitions. Katy had the idea of a contest in which all stories must share a common theme or a certain event that must be worked into all of them. I think this is a great idea, and personally I would love to see lots of future competitions, if for no other reason than it gets me motivated to write something (also a slight competitiveness issue... you're goin' down idrinkcoors!!!)

So I'd like to see some discussion on ways to setup future competitions, and with that in mind, I'll put the following questions to the lounge:

-What did or didn't like about the recent competition, either as a reader, writer, or abstainer? Do you have any ideas for general ways the competition format might be improved?

-As either a reader, writer, or abstainer, do you have ideas for specific formats or rules that you think would work particularly well? Are there particular themes you'd like to write or see written about, events you'd like to see woven in, etc.?

-If you didn't get involved in the recent competition, why not? Do you think if the competition had been setup differently (like with a max word limit or common theme) that you would have been more likely to get involved?

-Do you think there's enough interest to get contests going on a regular basis? If you're a writer, would you participate in regular contests? How often? Same questions if you're a reader. Would you have any interest in some kind of long term points or league-like thing? Possibilities are endless here.

-For writers: how much did the $150 prize contribute to you entering the recent contest. Would you still participate in a contest that had no prize, or a significantly lower prize?

-For everyone: do you have any interest in contests for writing other than fiction (poetry, drama, various nonfiction)?

My suggestions:

-My main suggestion is to have stories initially posted as their own individual threads during the entry period. This allows discussion to get more in depth and doesn't present the reader with so much at once like a megathread does. When the entry period is over, they could all be collected together into a megathread for voting.

-I think using word limits could be useful for getting more readers/voters.

-My favorite prompts are paintings/illustrations and strange or obscure events, objects, locations, themes, etc. that must be linked together through the story.

-I love the idea of some sort of long term league, or multi-story elimination tournament, or something like that, but I might be getting ahead of myself.

Interested in hearing your suggestions, thoughts and opinions, however lengthy or brief. And as a bit of incentive for this to happen, I will contribute $50 to the winner of the next contest if we have one.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Suggestions/Discussion on Future Writing Competitions

Regarding themes to write about, I think which theme we might like most to write about would be irrelevant and fairly trivial. But the concept of everyone being constrained by a certain idea/event/theme and forced to use their talents to write around that limitation or transform it into something good is an excellent one. This will really stimulate the imagination and even force creativity out of a stone.

I don't care too much for something like a story "tournament." It's hard enough for people to write and put it out there without it all coming to a dumkopf roll of the dice or popularity contest. Something more supportive than competitive seems far more appropriate to me.

Then again, competition has some place. It certainly brought people out of the woodwork last time. But I viewed the last event more as a great way to get the community involved with its members and vice-versa than as a competition. The amount was trivial, after all. I like the idea of it staying trivial. And community continuing to be made.

-- I'm not a big fan of word limits. Who could guess, by my identity, that such an idea would come out of me?

-- As to why I didn't participate, I think I am too unfairly cruel to play much of a part. I can't help but compare stories I read from friends to stories I have read by some of the greats, which usually show not just far greater polish, but far greater honesty, openness, and integrity. I fairly impale people with my judgments, and that is pretty shattering. Not that it isn't utterly fair and reasonable and even given, LOLS aside, in an attempt to make the very best of things and even begin a dialogue about how things might be improved. But command of the language is not exactly a big thing in our culture today, honesty never has been, artistic temperament is fairly rare and even serviceable craftsmanship seems a lost cause, and I've read very few things by friends and schoolmates etc. that isn't uncomfortably bad. Like usually even in the first paragraph, you wish you had a revolver to your head and absolutely dread giving even the fairest opinion possible without outright lying. I don't like hurting people's feelings, so I dread giving honest responses, no matter how helpful. They tend to reflect poorly on the person and story being criticized and make me look like someone or something I'd rather not be or be thought. Most stories are so bad I feel like taking a shower after opening my mouth.

So that's why I don't participate much in criticizing or reading stories. As to why I don't write them - I'm not really interested in doing so. I have largely put fiction aside except for dabblings in poetry. I'm happier to keep my ear intact than try my pen.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:33 AM

Blarg,

I think we have very similar feelings about reading fiction; indeed, much that is published seems unbearable. (As Oscar Wilde once said, "All bad poetry is sincere.") I teach literature, but in the past few years, I have read, compared to others in my profession, little fiction. (I do, though, explore a bit now and then; last novel read was Pichard Powers' The Echo Maker, which I picked out based on the subject matter.)

Instead of fiction, I read poetry, though not overwhelming amounts, but mostly creative nonfiction, usually personal essays, memoirs, and the like. I think I have all of the volumes of Best American Essays since the series began in 1986, and I often pick up books by authors I first read in that series. Right now, I'm reading Through the Children's Gate by Adam Gopnick. I love the various essays I've read by David Foster Wallace and George Saunders. In addition, my favorite writers over the years have been nature writers: Barrry Lopez, Aldo Leopold, Thoreau, Emerson, Edward Abbey, Loren Eisley, and many others.

I'd like to see us try the personal essay, such as those written by Mrytle. The great thing about the personal essay is that you can start anywhere and go anywhere. No need to worry about plot or a direct line. And no need for the great message or theme.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:36 AM

Every Year a publishing company has a 6 word novel competition. Hemingway won the first ever one with the following entry:

For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 AM

We could always stage our own Bulwer-Lytton contest. 2005's official winner:

As he stared at her ample bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg carburetors in his vintage Triumph Spitfire, highly functional yet pleasingly formed, perched prominently on top of the intake manifold, aching for experienced hands, the small knurled caps of the oil dampeners begging to be inspected and adjusted as described in chapter seven of the shop manual.

Dan McKay, Fargo, ND (2005 Winner)
Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 AM

As a reader of the past competition, I felt that reading all 20+ entries was quite a daunting task. My suggestion to fix this is to do a bracket format where each stories competes directly against another one and then moves on to the next round. This way, as a reader, I'll only have to read 2 or 4 or 6 and still be able to contribute legitametley to the vote. I think it'll also be more exciting that was as well.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:45 AM

don't make it where the final voting is on friday. have the post where all the stories on a day where the forums get the most traffic ( sunday?).
Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM

I like the idea of a personal memoir of any length very much.

I also like the idea of allowing it any format required (so could be poetry). Any thoughts on that anyone?

I already have mine in mind: 'Innocent, my ass' is the working title.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:42 PM

First I think any prize money is unnecessary (although it was nice of a donor to come forward). I entered the first one on a total lark. I took a 10 year old first draft and spent about an hour on it before submitting. I thought it would get a laugh from someone and inspire someone else to enter.

I didn't really get into the critisism of other entries because like Blarg I was cringing from paragraph one while reading most of them. I just couldn't bring myself to say anything negative. I have no problems with anyone being as honest as they like with my work but I can't reciprocate.

If another contest came along I would write something from scratch and I promise to come up with a much more honest and workmanlike effort.

I would like to see 4 or 5 people volunteer as official critics. Some format where when a story is posted these critics would post thier comments and they could do it one story at a time so we don't get in a situation where someone attempts to read and comment on 20 stories in one sitting.

Voting could remain as before - open to pretty much everyone - and certainly everyone should feel free to comment on any story they like - but it would be nice to guarantee 4 or 5 consistently honest critiques from the official critics.

And I nominate Blarg as critic number one.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:52 PM

I vounteer to be a critic. I'm an English major/read a million books/etc.