Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Austiger,

Explain to me how Auburn is going to be "sick" next year because I don't see. You'll probably finish similar to this year IMO.

No QB, and no WRs just like this year. Defense and running game as usual for Auburn. If anything things are looking down for Auburn after the past few 9+ win seasons. And you play WVU OOC next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look in the ND thread for the game participation stats I posted. The guys we lose were mostly being pushed by their backups at every position. When Groves went down with an injury for example, he had to move to LB when he came back b/c Coleman outperformed him. This was a learning year for many positions for us, and those guys will just be a year better next year.

Offense- 8 starters returning, including all our tailbacks, all our linemen, and all our receivers. We lose FB Carl Stewart (making room for Tate.) We lose TE Cole Bennett (McKenzie and Trott will move right in. Bennett didn't even play last year.) And we lose Cox.

Defense- 8 starters back. We lose two DBs, Brock and Lee, and our NT, Josh Thompson. We also lose backup DB Wilhite and Groves. D-line is the deepest position on the team and we will be even better there. The only concern would be DB, but we have young talent there as well.

ST- Punter and kicker coming back as sophomores and we get Tristan Davis back who missed the whole year with an injury. (He led the SEC in KO returns as a sophomore and was rumored to be pushing for the starting TB spot in preseason.)

Basically, every position gets deeper and more experienced next year except DB, which will be fine IMO, and QB. I'll leave the QB question till next year, but the rest of the team will be nasty. The WVU game will be daunting of course, but our conference road games are Ole Mrs, MSU, Bama and Vandy, compared to this year's Florida, LSU, Arky, UGA.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Austiger,

Explain to me how Auburn is going to be "sick" next year because I don't see. You'll probably finish similar to this year IMO.

No QB, and no WRs just like this year. Defense and running game as usual for Auburn. If anything things are looking down for Auburn after the past few 9+ win seasons. And you play WVU OOC next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No WRs? DJ Hall is the best WR in the conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this is a level or what, but DJ Hall is not the best WR in the SEC. I'll take a healthy Doucet and Harvin over DJ all day. Not to mention he was a cancer on our team down the stretch. And like Orange said, in the biggest game of the year, he managed to drop a TD. L
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DJ hall plays for bama...

and he also dropped one in the endzone.

auburn looks to be semi improved. they are a young team, their QB will be a definite upgrade, cox is horrible. their OL is very young and showed nice strides and their RB is also very young. i think they should be pretty decent next year and not horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Auburn will be horrible either. 8-4 isn't horrible IMO. Austiger used the word "sick." A sick season to me is 10+ wins in the regular season.

Cox did suck, but they're going to be starting a QB with zero experience next year. He's undoubtedly going to make some mistakes next year.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DJ hall plays for bama...

and he also dropped one in the endzone.

auburn looks to be semi improved. they are a young team, their QB will be a definite upgrade, cox is horrible. their OL is very young and showed nice strides and their RB is also very young. i think they should be pretty decent next year and not horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Hall plays for Alabama, I just misread the first line.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Austiger,

[/ QUOTE ]

Look in the ND thread for the game participation stats I posted. The guys we lose were mostly being pushed by their backups at every position. When Groves went down with an injury for example, he had to move to LB when he came back b/c Coleman outperformed him. This was a learning year for many positions for us, and those guys will just be a year better next year.

Offense- 8 starters returning, including all our tailbacks, all our linemen, and all our receivers. We lose FB Carl Stewart (making room for Tate.) We lose TE Cole Bennett (McKenzie and Trott will move right in. Bennett didn't even play last year.) And we lose Cox.

Defense- 8 starters back. We lose two DBs, Brock and Lee, and our NT, Josh Thompson. We also lose backup DB Wilhite and Groves. D-line is the deepest position on the team and we will be even better there. The only concern would be DB, but we have young talent there as well.

ST- Punter and kicker coming back as sophomores and we get Tristan Davis back who missed the whole year with an injury. (He led the SEC in KO returns as a sophomore and was rumored to be pushing for the starting TB spot in preseason.)

Basically, every position gets deeper and more experienced next year except DB, which will be fine IMO, and QB. I'll leave the QB question till next year, but the rest of the team will be nasty. The WVU game will be daunting of course, but our conference road games are Ole Mrs, MSU, Bama and Vandy, compared to this year's Florida, LSU, Arky, UGA.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is basically what I said, you have a good D and running game, no QB or WRs. You think you'll win 10 games in the regular season? You did get beat by MSU and USF @ home last year.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Austiger,

[/ QUOTE ]

No WRs? DJ Hall is the best WR in the conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this is a level or what, but DJ Hall is not the best WR in the SEC. I'll take a healthy Doucet and Harvin over DJ all day. Not to mention he was a cancer on our team down the stretch. And like Orange said, in the biggest game of the year, he managed to drop a TD. L

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

Part of being a good football player is staying healthy, to be counted on. No doubt Doucet and Harvin are better athletes than Hall. However, Doucet is a senior and his best season is worse than Hall's 2006 and 2007. Harvin's 2007 (700+ yards) is worse than Hall's 2006 and 2007. Harvin's numbers will probably pass Hall's in 2008, and if he stays, 2009. But right now, it's Hall or Bennett.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Ah okay. I also agree that Hall isnt the best WR in the conference. I would take Doucet/Harvin/(probably caldwell)/Monk (hurt for alot of the year but still v. good imo)/Earl Bennett from Vandy and thats all I can think of at the top of my head.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Doucet? He's a senior and has yet to do anything close to his billing.

Hall has over 2,000 yards the last 2 seasons, has good size, and was playing with a QB almost as bad as Brandon Cox.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:02 PM

I forgot about Bennett, but Vandy is easy to forget. Sorry Earl.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 PM

And keep in mind:

Harvin yards per reception -
2006: 12.6
2007: 15.6

Doucet -
2006: 13.1
2007: 9.9

Hall -
2006: 17.0
2007: 15.0

I mean, I can understand Harvin = youngster, but Doucet? C'mon.