Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Why would anyone want to be famous?

[ QUOTE ]
I have to say I am always awed when running into a Jeter or a Schilling or a Carmen Electra randomly that they were all 10x nicer than anyone has a right to expect. Jeter posed for photos, twice, while he was eating dinner with Mannillo [right next to us.]

I sure as hell wouldn't put up with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeter supposedly came to the big Saturday night bar at Yale (Toads) when he was dating Jordana Brewster a few years ago. He was supposedly the life of the party, buying drinks for everyone and just having a ball. Sounds like a pretty awesome guy from what I heard.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of Sight was a really terrific movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely Soderbergh at his finest, plus what a one-two punch for Cheadle right after Boogie Nights. Those two roles truly established him IMO.

Plus it was a blast to work on even though I was only on it for the Detroit segments (about two months).

Anyone here read a lot of Elmore Leonard? So amazing how well his books translate to the screen, his style is very cinematic right on the page. Plus he's from the D!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:32 AM

A month back I went to someone's leaving drinks at the law firm where I'm working. Two dozen suited investment fund lawyers in a posh suite near the Inns of Court in London. Waitresses were bringing round canapes and pouring our drinks. (I'm just a temp). One of the waitresses, my colleagues realised, was on Big Brother a few seasons ago. Bubbkly Northern girl with dark hair, don't know her name. They talked to her a lot about that.

I thought what a contrast - who has the power, the girl from Big Brother who's now waiting tables and preasumably has zero money, or the anonymous lawyer / banker?

Fame when you've lost your money and earning power is a terrible thing.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a taste of what fame might be like when living as a white guy in Africa. When I walked down the street complete starngers wanted to talk to me as if I was their best friend. When I walked into a restaurant or bar people stopped and stared, (in a friendly way). Girls would constantly come up and try to hit on me.

After about two weeks it completely sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had a similar experience when staying deep in mexico for a month. i went to visit a friend and when we walked down the street talking english, people would stop what they were doing and just openly stare at me. being over 6', english-speaking and blonde, i stuck out badly. people came up to me on the street and wanted to meet me and take my picture.

it was funny the first week but it grew old fast.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think getting chicks would outweigh any downside of being famous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you don't have to famous to date hot women. I'd like be rich, but not rich enough to be famous. Maybe worth $100-$200 million from owning a private company along the lines of Dart. I could live and do as I please without worrying about keeping up a reputation or public persona. It would be easy to date hot women, if that was my biggest objective.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize you don't have to famous to date hot women. I'd like be rich, but not rich enough to be famous. Maybe worth $100-$200 million from owning a private company along the lines of Dart. I could live and do as I please without worrying about keeping up a reputation or public persona. It would be easy to date hot women, if that was my biggest objective.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the Dart's do live quite well. They're from my hometown.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the Dart's do live quite well. They're from my hometown.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Mason? I'm from Lansing. Going to school down there?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:24 PM

Well they actually live in Okemos, where I'm from. I'm in New Orleans going to Tulane.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:42 AM

I think if I wanted to be 'famous' it would not be because of the riches, banging hot famous people, or everyone knowing who I was. It would be because typically famous people have excelled in their chosen field (I'm not talking just hollywood etc, but sports, medicine, art, music) and have contributed to the culture of a society, and I think that would be an awesome thing to do.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:11 PM

I've thought about this many times. The money just isn't worth the lack of privacy and all the other BS that comes with it, imo. You can't put a pricetag on your anonymity. In the immortal words of 2Pac: " All I want is money,
Fu*k tha fame, I'm a simple man."