Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Peter Forsberg... a Nashville Predator!

I think this is a great deal for both teams. I agree with bluef0x that Nashville had to take this gamble. A deep playoff run could save their franchise, even if they lose Forsberg this summer. It's a gamble, sure, but a necessary one.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Forsberg will be an excellent fit into any lineup. I'm just not sure if Nashville could've bargained the price down a bit since with Parent, Upshall, and 2 draft picks seems quite alot of a rental player whom have been having injury problems the last few seasons.

Regardless, the Flyers made a great deal. They have no shot this season, and they gained 2 quality young players with 2 draft picks for a player that is past his prime but with some value for playoff contenders.

This is definitely a gamble for the Predators to deal away those two prospects (I'm a big Parent fan, saw him a few times in person watching the Guelph Storm) for Forsberg to essentially make the run this season. I like the management's mentality of "this year's the year", but this could be a move that make or break this franchise...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but this could be a move that make or break this franchise...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but it's FAR more likely to make it than break it. Even a run to the WCF could do wonders for the franchise's exposure, and that's worth the long-term hit.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Forsberg is one of the most complete players in the game. Plays great 2 ways and doesn't play 'soft' at all like most europeans, hence he gets injured. Forsberg is still one of the best players in the game and this is great for Nashville. This should be enough to get them over the top. I'd be really excited for Nashville right now.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:35 PM

I agree with stealthcow in that they are a bit overrated. (4-2-1 vs. CHI, 6-0-0 vs. CLB, 6-0-0 vs. STL, compared to a 1-2-0 vs. DET)

With opposition like that... there's no way you shouldn't have the second-best record in the league.

EDIT: They're 1st and 3rd round picks... now I definetly think NSH gave too much for a rent-a-player.

EDIT2: The more I think about it, the more clear it becomes. I really don't see NSH getting by DET or ANA in the playoffs unless Forsberg singlehandedly does the job himself, which maybe v.2000 PF could do, but v.2007? Not so sure.

Besides, any beerleague team could beat the Blackhawks six games in a row.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 PM

I think the Predators could've gotten away with trading less - however one has to consider the relative position of the Predators - Upshall nor Parent are getting into the Predators' lineup any time soon given the contracts they have. Yet, they should've been able to retain one of their assets for the veteran defenseman they also have to acquire.

This was a move the Preds have to make for several reasons, some of which have nothing to do with hockey - Nashville going deep into the playoffs could fire up their moribund fan base.

Peter Forsberg fits on to any NHL team, so that claim is absurd. He turned Milan Hedjuk from a 30 goal scorer into a 50 goal scorer, and then did the same for Simon Gagne in Philadelphia - both of these players are now woefully overrated. He still averages a point a game or better even with all his injury problems. Again, while the Preds overpaid, letting someone else out West nab Forsberg could've doomed their playoff hopes.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM

I agree that it's a good deal for Nashville. Whether a trip to the WCF will establish a stable fan base I don't know: has this really happened in Tampa or Anaheim or Raleigh?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 PM

As long as Forsberg doesn't get hurt, this is probably a good trade for both teams. Philly wins by getting anything for a guy who could walk for nothing in the summer. I don't think the return was all that great, Upshall has yet to impress in the NHL and I'm not sure how good Parent will be at the next level. I wouldn't be surprised if Upshall maxes out as a 3rd line guy, and Parent as a 2nd pairing d-man. The 1st is basically a 2nd, and the 3rd a 4th because of how good the Preds are. But they got something for what will be nothing to them in a couple months, and now still have a chance to bring him back if that's what Peter wants.

Certainly the type of deal Nashville can afford to make, they are the most stacked team in terms of young defencemen in the league with Suter, Hamhuis, and Weber already on the team, and Franson, Klein, Laakso, etc on the way. Nashville needed a center like Forsberg, needed a star, if healthy he should be the catalyst for a Cup run. But these things don't always work out as planned. But come on, Forsberg, Kariya, Sullivan, Legwand, Dumont, Arnott, Hartnell, Radulov, etc, it's gonna be tough to fail with this lineup.

It'll look even better if they can bring Forsberg back in the summer and/or win the Cup.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether a trip to the WCF will establish a stable fan base I don't know: has this really happened in Tampa or Anaheim or Raleigh?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Excellent point.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether a trip to the WCF will establish a stable fan base I don't know: has this really happened in Tampa or Anaheim or Raleigh?

[/ QUOTE ]

May have worked in Tampa:

'00-'01: 14,906 (25th in the league) - 75.4% capacity
'01-'02: 15,722 (20th) - 79.6%
'02-'03: 16,545 (16th) - 83.7%
'03-'04: 17,820 (12th) - 90.2%
'05-'06: 20,509 (2nd) - 103.8%
'06-'07: 19,726 (3rd) - 99.8%

Carolina went from being one of the worst in attendance to middle of the pack now. Anaheim has climbed a bit lately, but we'll see how that goes. Winning seems to cure all for a while, but it's unclear how strong some of these markets really are.