Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 01:02 PM

Default limit 5CD: slowplayed quads

I don't slowplay very often in limit 5CD, but I thought that this situation might warrant a slowplay. I would normally never limp from the button, but I've only played in this game for 20 minutes or so. My opponents might think that this is just a weak play from me.

Limit 5 Card Draw ($1/$2) (converter)

SB ($54), Seat 5
BB ($3), Seat 6
UTG ($54.50), Seat 1
MP ($33.50), Seat 2
CO ($74.25), Seat 3
Hero ($25), Seat 4

SB posts $0.50. BB posts $1.

Hero is Button with [Kd 4s Ks Kc Kh]

Round 1: (1.50 SB)

<font color="#666666">UTG folds. </font><font color="#666666">MP folds. </font><font color="#666666">CO folds. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font><font color="red">BB raises. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font>
SB takes 3. BB takes 3. Hero discards 4s.

Hero has [Kd Ks Kc Kh Jh]

Round 2: (3.00 BB)

<font color="green">SB checks. </font><font color="red">BB bets $1 (all-in). </font><font color="red">Hero raises. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font>

Pot: (5.50 BB - $11)

One of the things I wanted to achieve by slowplaying this, was to induce the SB to call. Because the BB was short, I wouldn't get a lot of action from him anyway. If the SB accidentally made a very good hand post-draw, I might win a lot. The raise from the BB was a welcomed bonus, making the pot bigger. I couldn't raise now, because that would make it obvious that I had a big hand.

My other motive for slowplaying predraw, was that it might induce my opponents to believe that I was on a draw. If it got checked around after the draw, my opponents might think that I could be stealing with a busted draw.

I'm not sure if I would have slowplayed this if both blinds had been pretty deep, because a good player might see through it and I might not get as much action pre-draw as I would like. Does anyone have opinions on the way this hand was played?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: limit 5CD: slowplayed quads

most times that you open raise and someone 3 bets after you its likely that your going to be behind - what makes this palatable is that sometimes you can cap

i smile when i raise an early limper with say KK55x and they then 3 bet and stand pat or buy 2 - this pre-draw action should cost me 4 small bets but instead its only cost 3 and my opponent feels like they are a poker god for sneakily emerging from a bush with a big hand

thats said a golden rule usually ignored when slowplaying is that you need a monster - quads is a sufficent monster - my problem with taking the same line as you is that i cant disguise it - i have no genuine need to open limp before the blinds so if i do limp there is a lot of smoke in the air and any reasonable player can see the fire

i would of gone for the overcall post draw - obviously i'm an idiot because the SB called 2 bets but given they didnt bet out and given that they might be suspicious of the all-in BB wanting to throw away the last of his money it seems a better idea to me

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would of gone for the overcall post draw - obviously i'm an idiot because the SB called 2 bets but given they didnt bet out and given that they might be suspicious of the all-in BB wanting to throw away the last of his money it seems a better idea to me

[/ QUOTE ]

he actually only called one bet

the BB bet all in, 1 SB, and TC raised to a regular bet, 1 BB since BB could not cover it.

so no reason at all to go for overcall in that situation
Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 AM

Yeah. I could only raise to one big bet. I considered calling the bet from the SB, but I thought that if the SB was strong enough to call after BB bet and I called he might also be strong enough to call the "small raise" from me.

I also thought that the SB might think that the BB was tilt-bluffing away his last chip, and therefore I might be raising without a really strong hand to force him (SB) out of the pot.

The big downside to slowplaying here is that I might not get the maximum value if the small blind has a really strong hand pre-draw (By raising I'd be able to cap predraw as Stripsqueez suggested). I suspected that I would get the rest of BB's chips anyway. If I had been playing against familiars I don't think I would have limped because I almost never limp from the button anyway, and they should suspect a monster hand.

In this particular session I had been playing slightly less aggressive than normally, so I thought that the limp might not be as suspicious as it would be otherwise. The SB had only been at the table for about 15 minutes, so I didn't think he knew much about my tendencies.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:42 PM

I think that you did fine, since you weren't against regulars and it fit the way that you were playing and that the BB was short.. basically, I think that you did the classic depends.. you read the situation and correctly responded to it.

My question is, just out of curiousity, how come your raise wasn't to 3? If someone has at least 1/2 of the bet, you should be able to raise a full big bet..?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 AM

I don't know. There was no option to raise more, so I guess that you have to raise to an integer amount of big bets in this game. Don't know if I said it, but this was on Pokerstars.