Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 AM

Default Carpal Tunnel post: common leaks in the 2+2 game (long)

It seems weird to have hit this mark, since I consider myself more of a lurker, but here I am. I've been considering writing this post for a while, and I guess this "milestone" has given me the motivation to do it.

Earlier this year, I took a fair amount of time off from 2+2. I reflected on the game a lot (as always) and did a lot of coaching. Being forced to think critically on my own led me to see several subtle errors in my game that had crept in by following the "raise-bet-bet-bet" mantra on this site.

Not surprisingly, I see these and other mistakes routinely in the hands of the students I coach. I've written up essays about them and charge for access to them, so I am conflicted about giving away this material. Partly as a "thanks 2+2", and partly as a promo for my site, I'm detailing below several common and key mistakes made by most TAG players. Here goes:

Mistake #1. Missing pure bluffs.

TAGs are taught to fold crap. That's the "tight" part of the tight-aggressive game, and generally it's very good advice.

Unfortunately, almost all players take this too far. Their first instinct is to look at their hand, and if it doesn't connect with the flop and they aren't the preflop raiser, they give up.

Always think about what your opponent holds. Does this flop hit him? How much would you have to risk to bluff at this pot? Is it worth it? You'll be amazed at how many profitable pure bluffs you are missing.

Here's an example: you are the BB holding 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP limps, SB limps, you check. Flop: Q83. SB checks, you bet!

Mistake #2. Protecting hands that don't need protection.

Ed Miller's book taught us that hand protection is critical in big pots. Sometimes it's good to raise a hand like middle pair just to increase your chances of winning a pot that has grown large. That's great.

The problem is, most of you play every pot as though it is a big pot. You don't understand how different the strategy is for small pots. You raise and force out players that you want to call. You bet when there are players behind you waiting to bluff.

In short, you are terrified to lose a pot.

Here's an example: you are the BB, this time holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP limps, SB limps, you check. Flop: Q83. SB checks, you check!

Mistake #3. Handling the initiative.

Basically, you think the initiative is something, and it isn't. This leads you to make two related mistakes. First, you bet way too much when you have the initiative. Second, you check to the guy with initiative way too much.

This combination causes you to have more trouble than necessary when out of position. You feel uncomfortable when you are the one doing the calling.

Aggression and position are advantages. They just aren't as great as you think. Donk bet more. Check behind more.

Here's an example: You are the BB holding T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Button raises, you call. Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You bet!

Here's another one. You raise the button holding A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB calls. Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks. You check!

I could go on, but this is already pretty long. To sign off, I'd like to thanks 2+2 for years of forcing me to think more clearly about why I make the plays I make. I'm 4-tabling 30/60 and just had my best month ever. With this poker income, I can stay at home, spend time with my wife and watch my son grow up. Life is good, and I know this forum has helped me get there. Thanks.

good luck.
Eric
Old 06-22-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel post: common leaks in the 2+2 game (long)

Eric,

Nice post. I have echoed these exact thoughts to some poker buddies of mine.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:35 AM

hey eric,

interesting post...

i do have a question about your last hand...with A7 on a 558(2h) board why would you check behind? don't you think that you will pick up the pot often enough? i understand that most opponents will have only 4 outs here but why should i let them draw for free? especially since some/most will call a flop bet with too few outs in a pot that is too small...
Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 AM

Thank you Eric. I really appreciated it.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 AM

ignore
Old 06-22-2006, 03:01 AM

I dont think my overall game will work if I play like that. I need to bet when I hold something since I bet so often when I dont.

But maybe my overall game needs work..
Old 06-22-2006, 05:53 AM

Eric,

You are a great poster. Thanks for your contributions. Please explain the flop check in the last hand.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM

I think he means that checking gives your opponent the chance to bluff/semi-bluff the next street, or make a second best hand that will pay you off that normally would just fold the flop. Those 4 outs aren't quite what they seem either, since you have a pretty huge redraw against them. So while you may give up something the times that your opponent spikes his 4 outter and you don't hit your 12 outter on the river, you make more than when your opponent bluffs the turn, or makes a second best hand that he normally would have folded on the flop.

Of course, if your opponent will peel on a board like this with most of his hands, or is overaggressive with his bluff check/raises, it is better to just bet the flop.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 AM

Nice post

Ive taken to checking behind on the flop(more often) and have been very pleased with the results.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:18 AM

Why would you check A7 in position on a 558 flop heads-up?