Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

It is very difficult, in general, to predict the jail time for federal cases at the indictment stage. There are too many factors that must be taken into account. Among other things, the sentence could be increased if Bonds testifies. (In our wonderful federal system, testifying that you did not commit the crime at your own trial can result in an enhancement under the sentencing guidelines.)

In any event, the predictions of 30 years are absolutely absurd. If I had to guess, I'd predict somewhere in the 8-24 month range.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which is completely ridiculous. All signs point to Barry Bonds being less of a [censored] then Kirby Puckett who is still probably the most beloved athlete here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby smiled to the cameras and was pleasant to all the fans. The one major knock on him was that sexual assault case that he was tried for - and subsequently acquitted.

I wouldn't say there's a whole lot saying Kirby's a bigger [censored] than Bonds. Was Kirby a saint? Probably not, but he never did much to discredit his public image.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that he had a great public image and a [censored] up private life.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...11/si_puckett/

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Teams like , Minnesota, , and the like don't win throwing money at players they can't do anything with in a long run.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Twins at least, win because and in spite of doing this.

Because of:
Jack Morris
Shane Mack
Chili Davis

In spite of:
Tony Batista
Rondell White
Jeff Cirillo
Rubén Sierra
Ramon Ortiz
Sidney Ponson
etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

They've made plenty of bad moves, but they've always been able to cut ties with those guys without getting totally dragged down. The core of the team is guys like Morneau, Mauer, Santana, Hunter...the guys they developed and made into powerhouses. Especially Santana, who was the Rule 5 pickup of all time.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even before the indictment, I don't believe there were many teams interested. Oakland was the only team I ever heard mentioned. And he's just not productive enough anymore to merit the backlash.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy is still an awesome hitter, he's just hurt a lot. Maybe mere excellence isn't good enough--I actually don't think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly, I didn't watch him at all last year. But isn't it true that he's basically limited to DH now? If so, would you really expect his production to be better than the average DH?

I don't even follow the American League, so I really don't know.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:21 PM

It seems silly to debate if Barry's an [censored] or not. If pressed, yeah, he's an [censored], and that means nothing long run in terms of where he fits in on a team.

If the M's signed Barry and stuck him at DH for 150 games and let him mash, I would probably spend the whole season walking funny to hide my erection.

(actually not true, because it would make sports radio unlistenable and then I would have to listen to NPR again and care about politics and then I would be SAD).
Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which is completely ridiculous. All signs point to Barry Bonds being less of a [censored] then Kirby Puckett who is still probably the most beloved athlete here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby smiled to the cameras and was pleasant to all the fans. The one major knock on him was that sexual assault case that he was tried for - and subsequently acquitted.

I wouldn't say there's a whole lot saying Kirby's a bigger [censored] than Bonds. Was Kirby a saint? Probably not, but he never did much to discredit his public image.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of rumors, much like Kim Bell, the IRS, etc.

None of us actually know these guys, and all we have to go on is what we see on TV, read in magazines, etc. Kirby was at least outwardly personable. That's really all there is.

Could he have been a giant douche in private? Sure. All we have on either of those guys in private is speculation and rumors from "ex" women in their lives.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

3. The only thing baseball would have against Bonds is that he pleaded no contest to perjury, etc. Otherwise, the issue of whether Bonds "cheated" has never been adjudicated in any venue where baseball has jurisdiction to claim Bonds cheated.
4. This means that baseball would have no basis for touching any of Bonds' records because he is, and never will be (at least absent any further proceedings) found a cheater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't vouch for whether he is able to plea "no contest" or not -- I don't think he can. If he can, that plea may bar the government from using it against him in a court of law (I am not even sure of that), but certainly nothing bars a private organization (major league baseball) from relying on that plea and considering it an admission. Baseball can rely on whatever they want -- a private investigation, a public trial or the flip of a coin -- to adjust what they consider "official records".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your take on the effect of the no contest, but I really don't know enough about it to say you are incorrect.

As for baseball taking away Bonds' records: Yes, you are certainly correct as the commissioner can act "in the best interests of the game." My point (or idea, really) concerned whether a basis outside of that clause exists. At this time, I don't know one way or another.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM

Barry Bonds when healthy was the best hitter in baseball last year.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of rumors, much like Kim Bell, the IRS, etc.

None of us actually know these guys, and all we have to go on is what we see on TV, read in magazines, etc. Kirby was at least outwardly personable. That's really all there is.

Could he have been a giant douche in private? Sure. All we have on either of those guys in private is speculation and rumors from "ex" women in their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my point. What I've read about Puckett's private life is more disturbing then Bonds'. Not that what I've read about either is true, but the allegations are more disturbing. Yet, because Puckett smiled and waved to the cameras and Bonds shunned the media, Puckett is a saint and Bonds is the devil.

/edit Puckett was my hero growing up. I was 4 the first time the Twins won the world series and 9 the second time. His retirement press conference was probably the last time I cried about anything. I'm not trying to dick on him, just pointing out how much influence the media has.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
^^^^ what Oski said. this originally wasn't about trying to get Bonds...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very very wrong. Jeff Nowitzky had a major hard on for Bonds ever since Bonds broke Mcwire's single season hr record.