Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I accept that. However, in the eyes of the law, all the authors have ever been charged with was contempt of court, making pretty much everything NT has been screaming and insulting me about pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

i haven't been screaming anything, you're the one who's been typing in all caps. do you comprehend anything you read? red bean is saying that the reporters are guilty of several crimes, and that the only reason they haven't been prosecuted is because they're on the prosecution's side in public opinion.

but since they haven't been CHARGED, in your mind, they didn't commit a crime. right, and al capone was just a tax evader.

[ QUOTE ]
However, and I'm going to do this your way because I've been owning NT in this thread hard and now know how you probably feel in other Barry threads...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. any time a poster feels the need to point out how hard he is owning people in every other post he makes, you can be pretty sure he is a blithering idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

NT,

All I ever said was, in the eyes of the LAW, the authors of Game of Shadows have not committed any crime. I didn't ever say they were completely innocent, but you can't sentence someone for a crime they haven't been convicted of. That's an important step you COMPLETELY ignored last night, no matter how blacked out drunk you may or may not have been.

I only posted how hard I was owning because I had the ability to get not one, but two people coming out of nowhere with baseless personal attacks. You'll notice that once I went through the steps of why THEY were wrong, they got quiet, and quick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe the reporters would have been guilty of obstruction of justice, but for the fact the attorney that leaked the info came forward.

Again, the crime in that case would have been that they did not reveal their source; not that they published the information. The reporters made a decision to fall on the sword in the name of jounalistic integrity (whether that position happened to coincide with an ulterior motive ... such as "oh, if we give up this source, nobody is ever going to trust us again, etc.) and face the punishment.

However, in this case, the source revealed itself. At that point, the prosecutors used their discretion and decided not to pursue the reporters any further based on a number of reasons (no the least of which is the public support for the reporters) including the fact that they at least had a bona fide reason for not disclosing their sources. The conflict between the jounalistic shield versus obstruction of justice is not too uncommon. There are legitimate rights at conflict and in such cases, the reporters are stuck in between. Sometimes the reporters cave, sometimes they don't; it comes down to a personal decision.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Oski,

You're a lawyer, so you understand the ins and outs better than I do, obviously, and what you said is a better version of what I've been trying to say. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:01 PM

politics is retarded.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:07 PM

My prediction Conte and Anderson testify that Bonds didn't take PEDS, they decide to create two seperate grand jury's charging Anderson and Conte with perjury.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Just got home from a Sports Law class with a former federal prosecutor professor. In short, he thinks there has to be some additional evidence for Bonds to get convicted.

He also hammered home that the original leaker of the grand jury testimony was a complete idiot. I think it was Conte's attorney...he leaked it then went to court and argued "this case must be dismissed because of the leak." Of course he gets caught and is currently in jail.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Cost of this investigation over four years << cost 30 minutes of the Iraq war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. This is a better use of money than the most wasteful endeavor in human history.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 PM

Here's a survey on the Bonds situation.
SI survey

edit- Lots of hate on Bonds so far but pretty divided on what to do with his stas/records.
edit again- I mean the "Roid Era" stas/records not Bonds. It's pretty overwelming against him so far.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a survey on the Bonds situation.
SI survey

edit- Lots of hate on Bonds so far but pretty divided on what to do with his stas/records.
edit again- I mean the "Roid Era" stas/records not Bonds. It's pretty overwelming against him so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol angryfanaments
Old 11-16-2007, 02:33 PM

After 400 votes, 80% think Bonds should be banned from baseball if found guilty. I have no idea where to start explaining how ridiculous I think that is, but wow.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Okay: Maybe someone more well-versed in criminal law can weigh in here, but consider this:

1. The real issue here is whether Bonds lied. As I see it, there is no count in the indictment for actually taking steriods or HGH, or any PED.
2. If Bonds pleads "no contest" that has the legal effect of accepting a conviction, but that it cannot be used for a collateral purpose.
3. The only thing baseball would have against Bonds is that he pleaded no contest to perjury, etc. Otherwise, the issue of whether Bonds "cheated" has never been adjudicated in any venue where baseball has jurisdiction to claim Bonds cheated.
4. This means that baseball would have no basis for touching any of Bonds' records because he is, and never will be (at least absent any further proceedings) found a cheater.