Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Over-betting Aces a good or bad idea?

A lot of times pre-flot, huge overbets usually tend to be hands like 99,TT, or JJ (at least from my experience). Sometimes even lower pocket pairs. So if I had Queens with a big overbet (notice I didn't say reraise), I would almost always call this bet (depending on type of player, reads, etc).

That being said, I'm wondering if any of you have tried over betting pocket rockets like this. I wonder if over time this would result in more or less profit (they certainly would be cracked less often than say a standard 3.5-5xbb raise)
Old 11-09-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Over-betting Aces a good or bad idea?

since you're playing 5/10NL w/ a $400 buyin just make it 4Xbb+1 with them and that puts plenty of your stack in preflop to get all in on any flop
Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 AM

I've had the same curiousity and tried to use Aces to represent 99,TT,JJ a few times myself with bigger raises. It has never worked. To try this play, I'm looking to be at a table with a player or two that loves to come over the top and push out somebody they view as an over tight player and I'm looking to bet the right amount to give the villian(s) the hope they can come over the top with ATC and get me to fold. I've only tried the play a few times without getting a caller/reraiser. My data does not mean much really. It's probably a waste of time but I share in your curiosity. I hate to risk letting such a nice preflop hand go unplayed.

I like playing the hand against 1 or 2 players and generally try to make the bet from my pos that gets me there. A normal bet that is being called by 1 or two players in the game. Not a small bet or large bet. Nothing is worse than waiting 3 hours for your shot at AA than to make a 2xbb raise and everybody folds or you get 5 or 6 callers. Don't fear playing this hand after the flop. Look to play it. Obviously it's a clear preflop reraiser if your reraised. You love to catch underpairs and AK/AQ/AJ willing to call or bet all in. Of course, many factors can change the action on this hand.

Dave
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM

This can work but the most important variable in your analysis is knowing the players at your table.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM

Yesterday I was playing in a tourney on Stars and in the first level (10/20) I over-bet Aces by accident. I meant to do a standard 3x open raise but I must've hit the 7 with the 6 so my raise ended up being 670 ! I had lost a couple small pots so I had about 1350 so this raise was half my stack. Some one shoved in over the top on me with JJ, I called obviously and doubled up. This was by total accident but I too started wondering how often you could get it all-in pre with AA (which is ideally what you want to do if you can)by making a big overbet. Essentially I think it comes down to what other players at your table have. Most of the time a call here and you are probably gonna see JJ,QQ,KK and sometimes AK by someone who thinks you raised huge with TT or JJ and they'll be racing with you. I guess you would have to know the table well and they would have to have seen you do it with TT-KK in the past.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Pushing all-in is called the "move of honor" in some contexts. Search for it and you should find examples, such as section 11 of an old SSNL FAQ.

I think in microstakes full ring games, the most profitable way to play AA UTG may be to push. UTG pushes get called surprisingly often (perhaps because there are so many people who can make a stupid call), and that way you get all of the money of the player with 66 before he sees the overcards on the flop. I've had my UTG push called with T4 outside the blinds--I think he just wanted to know what my push meant, and was willing to pay up to $25 to find out. You only need to get called a small fraction of the time to make it more profitable than playing AA in the normal fashion.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:19 AM

In turbo tournaments, where the blinds go up way too quickly, I have a tendency to go all-in in the earliest rounds whenever I'm given AA (as long as there are still a fair few people in the pot). This is because people are aware they need to build a stack quickly and will call with much weaker hands.

I know that most of the time, the last thing you want to do in a tournament is go all-in pre-flop early on, but turbo tournaments don't allow you time to build a stack properly.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of times pre-flot, huge overbets usually tend to be hands like 99,TT, or JJ (at least from my experience). Sometimes even lower pocket pairs. So if I had Queens with a big overbet (notice I didn't say reraise), I would almost always call this bet (depending on type of player, reads, etc).

That being said, I'm wondering if any of you have tried over betting pocket rockets like this. I wonder if over time this would result in more or less profit (they certainly would be cracked less often than say a standard 3.5-5xbb raise)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll do it sometimes if I'm bored and haven't been getting action with AA in awhile, but I go with the fake typo - raising to $44 instead of $4 at 100NL - instead of a push. Sometimes you get people coming over the top with hands that they would never call a push with.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 AM

My first post but an interesting subject (pre flop raising) For me and I think post flop style also adds to pre flop raising and its effectiveness, I have found that in a large majority of the times that I raise, I raise the exact same amount. That is if I am the first into the pot. It doesn't matter from which position or how big my hand is. If I raise it is the same amount and I want the other payers to notice this.

The reverse of this of course would be to be all over the map and be able to make some 10-12x raises. Maybe even the shove. For me however I have found that I always make it the same which disguises the strength somewhat. Small enough that someone with JJ or QQ will re raise with. TPTK do not feel as much on guard if say AQ were to make a larger call and then hit the Q.

If say though I am in the blinds or on the button and the table has limped in I will raise much higher than a standard raise. Obviously I don't want a crowd. Strangely enough that is when I typically face an all in bet. Usually from a weak ace or KQ.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:39 PM

This play depends on the current typical pf action, stack sizes, your table image, your position, your postflop skills and the style (and postflop skills) of the other players.

With a short to medium stack, you should probably make a bet that will create a pot size such that a shove on any flop would make sense.

With a very short stack, a shove is probably the correct thing to do pf.

With a very deep stack, an overbet will have to be a calculated choice based on the factors I mentioned in para 1.

In general, remember that you play poker to win money (or chips) so you want to get value for your good hands. If you go all-in with 200BBs, you will win 1.5BBs very often and may get called from time to time with AK, KK, or QQ. However, sometimes players will fold those hand to a 200BB all-in bet so you will be losing lots of value.

As well, large overbets might get hands like AT, AJ, AQ, KQ etc to fold where a flop with a high card in it might get lots of chips from those hands if they hit.

Edit: As a last thought, a normal raise may be more likely to get re-raised than an overbet. Again, this may give you more value.