Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Personalities - Introvert or Extrovert?

I think whether you like them or not might weigh heavily into it. People tend to attach unnecessarily negative connotations to introversion and unnecessarily positive ones to extroversion.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM

blarg,

is that a response to me, or just the quick reply talking?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually, i bet you could, given the time and energy, determine if someone was intro or extroverted, based solely on their writing and without taking into account the content of what they write.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suspect there's a correlation between introversion and insistence on proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Seems to me that the introverts are more likely to just want to get what they want to say right, but extroverts might just want to get what they want to say said.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Quick reply; I was answering Katy about parties mostly.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
actually, i bet you could, given the time and energy, determine if someone was intro or extroverted, based solely on their writing and without taking into account the content of what they write.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suspect there's a correlation between introversion and insistence on proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Seems to me that the introverts are more likely to just want to get what they want to say right, but extroverts might just want to get what they want to say said.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, and i suspect an introvert is likely to use longer sentences/words and do things like forgo capital letters, use semi-colons, etc.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:30 PM

I think anyone who answers this question with "I can be either" is an introvert, who probably doesn't want to admit it.

Extroverts are outgoing & personable in any situation, with any group of people. Introverts (unless they are an extreme case) are only outgoing in a group they feel established & comfortable in.

Personally, I'm an introvert. Even in groups of people I feel comfortable with, I'll get very shy at times. This includes family on occasion.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM

1. Introvert

2. Emphatically, no.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:49 PM

1. i hate having to answer this question because i find it so hard, id go 60% into 40% extro (if that makes any sense)

2. i think you can tell EVERYTHING about a person by how they write (as well as the frequency)
Old 04-19-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think anyone who answers this question with "I can be either" is an introvert, who probably doesn't want to admit it.

Extroverts are outgoing & personable in any situation, with any group of people. Introverts (unless they are an extreme case) are only outgoing in a group they feel established & comfortable in.

Personally, I'm an introvert. Even in groups of people I feel comfortable with, I'll get very shy at times. This includes family on occasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds good on its face, but I don't think it's true. If an extrovert is an extrovert always and without qualification because that's how the classifying works, then an introvert too should be introverted always and without qualification.

What we are talking about is tendencies rather than absolutes. How much you do things a certain way before it becomes a tendency? And just because it's a tendency, is it particularly accurate to depict a person in those terms? That's what's really at issue. I don't think you have to be a pure extrovert or not be one at all. Or that introverts will always shy away from contact.

Speaking of shy, I think that shyness can mask potential extroversion. I've seen people get over shyness with time and eventually become very outgoing. I think both introverts and extroverts can be quiet until they feel secure. But the true introverts will STAY quiet, and frequently choose being alone over even being with people they know well and feel comfortable with, or whose company they enjoy. An extrovert will come home and say, "I gotta get outta here!" He'll find almost any alternative to doing quiet things, especially doing them alone.

So anyway, it seems clear that there is granularity to these concepts and that they don't work well as absolutes.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 PM

By nature I'd probably have to say I'm an extrovert. (My daughter recently described when she asked a question during a field trip and heard sighs from her classmates. It sounded familiar. Also, during conferences a teacher recently commented that she wanted her there for an upcoming discussion because she is willing to voice her opinion irregardless of its popularity.)

So, would you have guessed this from my posts?

A couple things:

- I'm well aware that I'm outside the normal demographic of most 2p2 posters.
- I seldom post unless I think I have something to add to the discussion.

Honestly, I don't feel like much of an extrovert these days. Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis.

[ QUOTE ]
An extrovert will come home and say, "I gotta get outta here!" He'll find almost any alternative to doing quiet things, especially doing them alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw this after posting and I have to disagree because I'd also categorize myself as a loner. One of the things I miss the most in a busy house with a husband and kids is time to be alone. (I attribute a lot of this tendency to growing up an only child.)