Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Small mistake, big mistake or correct call

Basic preflop situation, low limit (.25-.50 blinds) some limpers, I limp with A9TT single suited ace, potted behind me, blinds and limpers call so its a 6-way pot with just over 20$ and its 3$ back to me and importantly I close the action.

I've been making this call with hands of this middling quality that have potential, but are no means monsters, what do people think of this?

Secondary question, if i get lucky enough to flop the top fullhouse or top set on an uncordinated how much should i be betting (do people usually continuation bet and a checkraise is safe or just pot it or bet something less?)

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Small mistake, big mistake or correct call

[ QUOTE ]
I've been making this call with hands of this middling quality that have potential, but are no means monsters, what do people think of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems OK to me. You are getting good immediate odds on your call and your hand has some nut potential.

[ QUOTE ]

Secondary question, if i get lucky enough to flop the top fullhouse or top set on an uncordinated how much should i be betting (do people usually continuation bet and a checkraise is safe or just pot it or bet something less?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on your position relative to and the nature of the pre-flop raiser. You don't want to give a free card, especially since any overcard is going to be scary.

It also depends on just how uncoordinated the board is. With medium pairs it is hard for a board to be totatly draw free, unless you flop the boat. If you do flop the overfull, betting is likely to bring someone with trips along given the crowd seeing the flop.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 PM

This is 100% standard. This is one of the hand patterns that I look forward to seeing especially if the Ace is suited with the card that is not part of the pair. This one also has a connector so it can flop multi-way a couple of different ways Set plus NFD, straigh draw + NFD, Top Two + NFD.

I will call in this spot with a similar pattern without the connecter and with the pair lower ie Ad7c7sTd.

If the table is passive and/or some deep stacks I might even raise this first in after some limpers to build a little pot for the flop and hopefully increase my chances of having the button post flop. Limping is good too as a raise behind you will most often turn out like your hand above where you have good relative position on the raiser.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:02 PM

If you hit, POT IT, someone will call, its $20 for gods sake. I would probably call just so I can bluff you off the turn, and i'm not even in the hand and didn't get dealt any cards.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is 100% standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know, your explanation of why is also helpful. I was just entirely out to lunch on a previous hand, so i thought i'd double check a more basic premise.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you hit, POT IT, someone will call, its $20 for gods sake. I would probably call just so I can bluff you off the turn, and i'm not even in the hand and didn't get dealt any cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was somewhat what i was thinking, but since the stacks are pretty shallow the turn bluff doesn't have a lot going for it, but your general point is taken. This particular time everyone folded and i was surprised and wondering if i missed some value, but one 20$ bet will make up for four 5$ dollar bets so it will all work out i imagine.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 PM

Always lead, especially when you flop say 1088, and if there is a caller ill half pot turn. Otherwise if you nut up on anything else there are a lot of options depending on stack sizes, position and whatnot. You can limp call, hope for a safe turn card a pot it, you can limp checkraise the flop, you can lead, but if your in first or second pos, i would advise against. 6 way pots are very tricky and have too many variables try converting your hands, youll get much better responses.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always lead, especially when you flop say 1088, and if there is a caller ill half pot turn. Otherwise if you nut up on anything else there are a lot of options depending on stack sizes, position and whatnot. You can limp call, hope for a safe turn card a pot it, you can limp checkraise the flop, you can lead, but if your in first or second pos, i would advise against. 6 way pots are very tricky and have too many variables try converting your hands, youll get much better responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limp-Call, Limp-CR, WTF!

Do you mean check, when you say limp? OR min-bet? I really hope it is check...
Old 07-19-2006, 03:09 PM

sorry for the confusing post, LIMP=CHECK, idk why I chose to say limp
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Ye i like the type of hand you have preflop. When you flop trips with the nut flush draw its a beautiful thing.

However, trip tens are a high variance hand and are very difficult to play. Especially out of position.