Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

[ QUOTE ]
Who else thinks that the Pats should go for 2 points after every TD? I would figure that in a spread formation that their chances are higher than 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be worth it just to see a linebacker in Vrabel amass a ridiculous amount of points.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like getting caught cheating has somehow imbued Belichick with a misplaced sense of righteousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only problem that I really have with the whole "running up the points" thing - it's basically the Pats saying "screw you for doubting our accomplishments," when they brought it on themselves. You cheated, and you got caught. I don't know what dysfunctional logic allows you to be the victim in this scenario.

What annoys me about the Pats is that they are always playing the "nobody respects us" card - they need outside validation of their accomplishments to feel good about themselves. I don't recall the 90's cowboys, 80's 49ers, 70's steelers or whatever having a similar attitude. If you are constantly bitching about how no one respects you - don't be surprised when nobody does.

D
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Let's say it wasn't delibertate, let's say he was going for a sack. People get hurt on every play. The point was, you should limit your chances of getting hurt when the game is out of reach. If the game went from out of reach to in reach, I can see him returning. It's not like you can't bring a player back in baseball. It's not like the 2nd stringers are even that bad on the Pats but they aren't as good as the first.

It's just a matter a fact of what there doing first of all risks some of their bigger players in meaningless gametime positions. Okay if that's what they want to do, then do it. Honestly, most teams in most professional leagues don't do this. Even if they did do it then don't do it on a regular basis. Yes we all know how good the Pats are. Bill B is saying let's prove it for 60 minutes every game even though the last 20 minutes haven't mattered in all but 1 game this year.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that if a player actually did make a dirty hit on Brady that knocked him out for the rest of the season and possibly even his career, the backlash against him and his team would swamp the current antipathy directed toward the Pats right now - especially if it came out that a coach directly ordered for the hit. Run up the score or not, there is no place in sports for dirty hits that could result in serious injury. None, whatsoever. Anyone who says a serious hit designed to inflict debilitating injury on Brady or anyone else on the team is justified totally lacks perspective on the situation. This sort of unsportsmanlike conduct simply dwarfs anything the Pats are doing on or off the field.

And with evidence of a deliberate attempt, I would expect the NFL to rain down heavily on the dirty player and the team. Brady is one of the faces of this league and one of its biggest draws/money-makers. They would be none too pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah probably, but it wouldn't make the patriots any less of the idiots they'd be, or their fans for advocating this nonsense. it'd be like if you got into a pickup basketball game with a 6-5, 250 pound street thug, managed to beat him, rubbed it in his face, then whined when he knocked out all your teeth and left you with a fractured eye socket. i guarantee you if brady does get injured on some late hit the righteous anger we are going to see from patriots fans is going to make us all puke...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who else thinks that the Pats should go for 2 points after every TD? I would figure that in a spread formation that their chances are higher than 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a lot of teams that should do this. The only thing holding me back is that its possible that if defenses lined up to stop the 2PC like 4-5 times a game, every week, they might start to get really good at stopping it. But I gotta think most teams are well over 50% on that. Its 4th and 2...anyone got any tables for what the NFL average is on 4th and 2? It would be slightly lower than whatever that is since they have a smaller field to work with (i.e. no deep bomb threat) but it should be close.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere (football outsiders maybe) that NFL teams have converted 2pt conversions 43% of the time. Both the Patriots and the Colts would likely be higher than that, but I'm not sure if they would be over 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. I'm surprised its that low, honestly. I mean, 4th and 1 situations seem like practically automatic for most teams. I guess the extra yard is significant in that you cant really sneak anymore. I've never seen any data for this, just going on memory and intuition but I'm surprised that its that low.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guarantee you if brady does get injured on some late hit the righteous anger we are going to see from patriots fans is going to make us all puke...

[/ QUOTE ]

If he gets injured because an opposition player puts an intentional, cheap shot on him then Patriots fans have every right to be angry as hell. If he gets injured on a routine play then obviously they have no right to be mad if they were advocating what is happening at the moment.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i guarantee you if brady does get injured on some late hit the righteous anger we are going to see from patriots fans is going to make us all puke...

[/ QUOTE ]

If he gets injured because an opposition player puts an intentional, cheap shot on him then Patriots fans have every right to be angry as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know, its like that Chris Rock bit from a while back: "Now I'm not saying he should have killed her...but I understand."
Belichick just doesn't seem to understand he's playing with fire, or maybe he does he just thinks his O-line will not let anyone get close to Brady.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i'll be angry if the guy took a cheap shot at him. once again, you completely miss the point.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he gets injured because an opposition player puts an intentional, cheap shot on him then Patriots fans have every right to be angry as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know, its like that Chris Rock bit from a while back: "Now I'm not saying he should have killed her...but I understand."
Belichick just doesn't seem to understand he's playing with fire, or maybe he does he just thinks his O-line will not let anyone get close to Brady.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any Defensive player that can't take his licks shouldn't be on the field imo.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i'll be angry if the guy took a cheap shot at him. once again, you completely miss the point.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm not going to go back and read all your posts but i fail to see why i'm supposed to make your point.

i remember you saying something about risk reward, so if i were to guess, i'd say your point is that since the patriots are striving to achieve greater things this year (eg the team of destiny stuff), they can afford to take greater risks (eg leave brady out there). is it something like that?