Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: $60k-$80k
0-20% 2 11.11%
20-40% 7 38.89%
40-60% 8 44.44%
60-80% 0 0%
80-100% 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/21) (spoilers to come) *DELETED*

I am going to rewatch the show this weekend and actually see how many hands he played over the course of that episode. I can think of two and I bet we didn't see fifteen hands.

Is his VPIP that horrible even over that moronically small sample size?

If someone wants to beat me to this, they can have at it.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/21) (spoilers to come)

It seems pretty logical that the last thing you want to do on tv AND against this line of pro players is overplaying queens and loosing one BI on the first hand you play, with such a board.
Now of course he could have played the hand better. But are you seriously judging a player on one hand played live and on tv (with the pressure and everything).
I'm new to this forum, i don't give a ... about jman, but if there are blind fans out here, you are just the extreme opposite. Which is no good either.

ps: sorry if my english is bad, it's not my birth language.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why are they wasting seats with Brandon Adams and Harman??

[/ QUOTE ]

oh and OMGifoldeveryhand(phil galfond) was any better?

Two weeks/episodes and he played 2 hands:

1.Folded QQ to Farha,after checking a harmless flop,and sammy raised the turn

2.Flopped top set with JJ....my grandmother could have played that hand

Geeeez I thought sbrugby/aba played tight.Its amazing that these HS internet pros's that play such an aggro game on-line, look like they have never touched a real deck of cards when they play live,as they truly look uncomfortable in their own skin?

I dont think they have to worry about not being invited back,(as Gabe and Helmuth constantly reffered to)...because they wont.

Gimme a break....you get a chance to play on HS poker,with probably 3-4hrs of edited hands each episode(so I dont want to hear he was card dead BS)...and thats it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Level?

Anyway, I think JMan would of played way more hands if had more money in front of him. Doesn't look like he has that much. Too bad he isn't playing in the 500k lineup thing.

Have you ppl ever even seen how this guy plays online? He isn't nitty from what I have seen. He is known for making super light call downs. Think about that against someone like Sammy heads up.

Sammy: "What do you have there Phil top pair? Oh bottom pair, that's good too."

Phil: "Ship it"

[/ QUOTE ]
shut up you dork.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:39 AM

^^^

Lol isnt it, the idiots who stand up for Jman like he's going to ship them a $k are more pathetic than the railbirds at 300/600.

If you are going to defend him don't sound like you wana marry him too
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 AM

almost all of you are missing the point
jman played fine
the jman fans are up in arms at having to defend the guy and somehow while busy slobbing on his knob they try to act like he would make tv.
The people who hate him are trying to act like he played like [censored]. He played fine for that table and made terrible tv plain and simple.
I guess he brought some of this on himself for starting that post whining like a little bitch about not being invited back for day 3 when noone in their right mind would ask him back. I dont care if they promised him he would be able to play on the third day. After watching him for 2 hours they changed their mind. DO you think Jeff Francis cried about being pulled from game 1 of the world series after boston lit him up? Its the same thing.Your a great player who based on the 2 hours we saw was terrible for tv. No need to cry about it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 AM

One issue we haven't talked alot about are the interpersonal dynamcis of the players. Jennifer Harman alluded to this in her comment about jman (something like "I don't know you at all.") Many of the newbies to the group don't connect at all with the core players, coming across as either deer-in-the-headlights or give-no-tells poker players. As with many here defending the tight play, it is hard to fault the players doing this. Even their treatment of Gold seems to be different this year vs last, almost like they have begrudgingly let him in as an Associate Member of the club. Since this is a television show, and the banter is a good thing, they should look at ways to get the newbies somehow comfortable with the group. I'm not exactly sure what the answer is. Maybe a social session the day before the show, which would include a crazy donkament or a low-stakes game with some fanboys at the table as well. The core players have so much history with one another that their rhetoric is natural most of the time.

Also, the comments by Brandon and jman regarding the money in the cage that they brought seems to be a major misstep on their part. Anyone who plays poker knows the danger of scared money, and the fact that they were "saving" their bankroll for the next day's $500k min session is shown with their play. jman certainly would pick apart anyone who was concerned about not losing their bankroll for the next day like that. Both mentioned this as contributing to their tight play.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Look, we can talk about this forever but first impression is everything.
Last year BT passed the test but this JMan dude failed miserably.
Came across as a Nit and a Nerd with no social skills what-so-ever.
Even his biggest fan or groupies or rail-birds..whatever you call those silly kids can not deny this.
And the fact that it looks like this is getting to him and his whining thread he started is just gonna fuel the irresistible urge that people have to needle Pros.

And another thing.
The guy came to play on TV with very wrong mindset.
HSP is NOT a poker instructional video...it is a poker SHOW made for entertainment.
If I want to watch and analyze JMan`s poker skills I can do that online.
The only reason you would want to show yourself on TV playing poker is for advertising purposes.
And advertisement costs money bud.
It pretty much means LAGing it up for few hours and showing off your social skills.
Good luck.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The guy came to play on TV with very wrong mindset.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

also... it's obvious from his post in NVG . that he believes that he's better than most of the pro's he was up against in that game. if that's the case ... there SHOULD have been a few playable hands that he saw other than QQ and JJ. if i sit in a game where i think i'm one of the better players at the table i'm willing to play T8 or 79 or 9J ... at the least.... if he's so confident that he could play Hellmuth heads up for some large money... how is it that he could only push himself to play top 10 hands. weakly at that!

in the end.. what i think shined through as we watched that telecast.... jman is more scared than he or his railbirds want to admit!

hell... jman is the only player harman played more hands than.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:46 AM

edit2: i get it, you dont want to see good poker, you want to see "gamboool" poker...good thing sammy there is to fill your need. yes jman played well given table dynamics. ask anyone that plays higher stakes

edit: just so you know, im not a fanboy of jman, or anyone, but youre just so wrong about this i have to say something

desab, do you play live?

its very possible that you can go 40 hand stretches getting 93o and J2o.

even so, he only had 50k at the table i believe, saving for 500k min, so with the big PF raises relative to his stack, its not profitable to play those T8s hands anyway. in a 300/600/1200 std game, he starts with just over 41 BB. raises ranged from 5x-10x i believe, so he cant play those hands.

but hey, at least youre showing us why live play is so profitable.

not to mention the game is edited, so you dont know that he could have played more hands NOT SHOWN

but youve heard all this before, why am i feeding the troll, shame on me...
Old 10-27-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

desab, do you play live?

its very possible that you can go 40 hand stretches getting 93o and J2o.

even so, he only had 50k at the table i believe, saving for 500k min, so with the big PF raises relative to his stack, its not profitable to play those T8s hands anyway. in a 300/600/1200 std game, he starts with just over 41 BB. raises ranged from 5x-10x i believe, so he cant play those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i do play live..

yes you can go long stretches with less than premium hands.

no you are mistaken.. if you had read the jman's post... which you should have since much of what is being discussed here makes it important that you read that background information.....you would know that he sat down with 100k... not 50k. so if you stop guessing then your posts would be much more respected.

my point is simple... he watched the first half of the day... he saw that many hands were played with less than premiums.... if he wasn't ABLE to play that brand of poker then perhaps it was his responsibility to let mori know that he didn't think that HE was a good match for the table... then mori wouldn't have wasted a valuable seat on him.

the kid looked obviously uncomfortable... noone can play the game when we're uncomfortable in our surroundings. don't you at least agree with that?

do you see what i mean?