Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 AM

Default US women\'s soccer takes 3rd. Scurry in Goal. Solo not in stadium.

4-1 over Norway. espn artical

[ QUOTE ]
"I feel like in this tournament -- from the time I came for the draw -- the U.S. was behind the eight-ball, because we had a very difficult group," coach Greg Ryan said. "I felt like each game was so under the gun. Each match became an elimination match for us."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan said the matter was being handled "internally" and did not say if Solo would return with the team.

Cat Whitehill, Solo's former roommate, said she had forgiven Solo, and she thought her teammates had, too.

"Anything is possible," Whitehill said. "We know what a great goalkeeper Hope is. She proved it during this World Cup. She's a good friend of mine, and I hope she will be able to do it."

Whitehill said switching goalkeepers was not the problem, but what followed was.

"There was a lot of emotions going into that Brazil game. There was just a lot going on, and we didn't handle it well," she said. "It was just handling the pressure that came with it, the semifinal game, listening to the media talk about the goalkeepers. There were a lot of surrounding things."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan's unusual move -- Solo was unscored on in almost 300 minutes in four World Cup games -- also puts his future in doubt. Ryan's contract expires at year's end, and he said after the match he wants to continue.

[/ QUOTE ]