Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: check raise all-in on the flop? i dont like the play

Stack depth is a real key here. With 100BB, especially if the pot is raised preflop, it isn't really going to matter. Check-raising is often going to be a good way to get your entire stack in against an aggressive LP player who, after betting, very well may have odds to call your raise.

If the effective stack is quite large, then check-raising becomes a bit more problematic, for a couple of reasons. One, it defines your hand quite well and allows your positionally advantaged opponent to play almost perfectly against you. This could include them letting go of the underset or picking up enough bluffing "outs" to make a call reasonable.

Obviously no line is optimal in 100% of situations and I can think of many situations in which I would check/raise from upfront with a deep stack. Most of those include having poor players behind me that will allow me to a large portion of my stack in with a decent equity edge.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:46 AM

I assume this is the game I think it is. I would often c/r all in here, depends a little bit on the players. If I had much more behind I would almost never check raise.

You don't address the problem with betting: often you will get two callers and will have no idea what to do when a scare card like an 8 comes on the turn. If you push now you often scare away a set or a straight draw that missed, and only get action from a hand that has you drawing dead. But if you check you don't want to give a free card or face a bet. Basically your opponents will usually play this situation very accurately, and you are better off getting it in on the flop and hoping to have 40-60% equity in a 2 or 3 way pot.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. If the money were deeper or another player with a possible freeroll on your hand had bet, then a c/f would usually be in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see how I could ever check fold this flop
(is that what c/f means?)

I agree that leading out is liable to make my decision on the turn difficult.

I suppose that boils down to the importance of position in PLO.

This makes me think of a play I like. I might make a new post about it.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:48 PM

The betting problem is basically just the same problem that arises from playing any hand OOP. The more chips you have, the harder it gets to play. Quite often, you risk being outplayed in such situations. Getting it in on the flop via a CR, assuming you have a stack size small enough to do so, is about the best defense you have in such situations.

Online, I think this move occurs quite frequently and quite necessarily. Basically, any time that you can get 80+ percent of your stack in on the flop with a decent equity edge, you should be looking to do so.

I dont think that we are really in disagreement.

Issues arise when that CR only gets in 30-60% of your stack.