Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Tourney info

Anybody know where I can get some good information on stud tournament strategy, or have some overall tips?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Tourney info

In a tournament am I looking to play tighter or looser after like the first five levels?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a tournament am I looking to play tighter or looser after like the first five levels?

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, there is a tournament forum here - I've never been there and don't know if it's over run with HE players, but you might get good responses there.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 AM

tight. stud tourneys typically have low antes relative to the stakes, so there's no reason to get involved without the best of it. you can pick your spots in tourneys.

edit:

misread the question. in later levels, you can start opening up since the tables will start tightening up. i wouldn't get involved in any silly pots though. i wouldn't start stealing until the 8th level or so.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To give an oversimplified answer, you need to be a looser raiser and a tighter caller.

I recommend the Sklansky tournament book. There are examples from different games, and there are quite a few stud examples.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, there is a tournament forum here - I've never been there and don't know if it's over run with HE players, but you might get good responses there.

[/ QUOTE ]

using the tournament forum for a question about stud would be useless. I love the place, but it's all about hold 'em there.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Yeah I know the tournament forum is just NL tournament. I've played in four stud tourneys this month (3 at UB 1 at foxwoods) twice making it to the final table, and I have the WPT one coming up in October so I want some advice it's just so hard to find any articles. I have read Sklansky's book, and he gives some stud examples and the GAP concept does work exactly like what Andy said loose raiser tight caller, but I'm curious as to what type of hands to play in general. For instance would I play a small pair with a low kicker? If I try an ante steal and get called do I continue to invest money in this pot? Do I play draws at all?

It appers to me at leats that by the later levels the betting and decisions are really made in the first three rounds thrid, fourth and fifth, and then after fifth eveyone is betting and there is too much to get out of the pot. I try to do ante steal here and there, but for the most part not play unless a great hand like Aces of Kings that I can ride to the end. Also does low pair with A kicker go up in values, does a small concealed pair with low kicker go down. And I only play a flush draw if I have at least 15 BB and the suit is very live. With two out I'm not playing and definitely not with one.

It's just very hard to find information on this subject, and harder to find enough games to get the experience. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Also what should be proper all in strategy. In NL 5 Bib Blinds usually means you should push in with anything pretty soon. But 5 big Blinds is not the same as 5 Big Bets. Also my raise on third will only be one small bet. So with two Big Bets I can make 4 ante steals. When should I reach this point and at this point am I just looking for a premium pair to start with or even small pair with live A kicker a good hand. Again, any and all advice will be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:04 PM

First how many players were in the field for the 4 touneys? And how many players are expected for the WPT? UB is a joke, not anything like WPT. WPT stud is tough, especially the final table. Buckle UP, because you better know what your doing. And if you're asking this question

"It's just very hard to find information on this subject, and harder to find enough games to get the experience."

Maybe you should just watch this year, and wait till next year. You can learn plenty sitting on the sidelines of a major stud event. Ask the guys at Foxwwods, maybe they can help or offer to buy dinner for one of the early "bustouts" and pick his brain. You just never know who you might run into. LOL
Old 09-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the warning CPA but i posted this same question to play or not and I got a reosunding "gamble young man gamble" so now like all serious players I want to be prepared and informed this is why I am seeking help. And in tourneys I will take AA to the river against draws or two pair because I probably will be heads up.