Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Are all poker players degenerates?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you really need to ask yourself who is telling you to equate degenerate with poker player, and ask yourself why you're letting these people place their assumptions in your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, I thought up that question all by myself. I'm not a church goer, my mother is deceased, so it's not like I have some toffy-nosed old lady castigating me about "those degenerate poker players you hang around with". It was just, based totally from reading here, a question of curiosity.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok I don't think you really got where I was coming from on that. I'm saying as much as the human race loves and needs classification to function, you simply cannot classify a broad category as one specific stereotype. You cannot call all Christian's hypocrites even though there are many, you cannot call all non-Christian's bad people, you cant call all football players morons, ect. ect. ect. Now maybe that clears it up for you. BTW why would you lock the thread because of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking that your question was off topic and about religion which, along with politics, always gets stuff stirred up, which I sure don't want to see happen.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or is there a level one has to reach before being deemed so. I don't think I'm a degenerate, I only play free MTT a couple of times a week, haven't been to Vegas in a while altho I did play a STT at French Lick, IN. Does one have to drink heavily and chase women to be degenerate? That certainly leaves me out, thank goodness. The people I play with don't read here, so I'm being exposed to many new concepts and words. I don't mean that degenerate is new, but it seems that you can't say poker player without including it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are actually some poker players that are quite religious, Doyle Brunson (Christian) is just one example.

I'm not attracted to poker because I see an opportunity for degeneracy. The way I look at it, I have played chess tournaments that had cash prizes, and run 10K races that had cash prizes. But there is more money in poker.

A few days ago I saw on TV a Scrabble tournament with a first prize of $50,000. We better watch those Scrabble players! Who knows what they do when the curtains are drawn?