Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: What does \"to straddle\" mean?

straddle is announced before the cards are dealt
Old 10-05-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to straddle before you see your cards right?
That's what I'm asking. Is the action: blinds are posted, straddle is posted, cards are dealt

Or is it: blinds are posted, cards are dealt, under the gun announces straddle and posts straddle

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're under the gun (1st to act) preflop, what does it matter if you announce a straddle before the cards are dealt or put the money out there after the fact? You're going to, in effect, raise one x's the Big Blind anyways and be "last to act" preflop.
If you put it in either before or while the cards are being dealt, it will be termed a straddle. If you put it in after the cards are out, whether you look at your cards or not, it will be termed a raise.
But, in effect, there is no difference.

It's annoying for me, b/c I'm a tight player, for there to be a straddle. Loose players often try to talk the entire table into doing this, which can be effective for them, b/c who wants to be the lone guy saying no. In this case, I often fall under the peer pressure. I've noticed though, that this makes blind stealing a bit sweeter, so if noone or just one has come in and I have position, I'll raise. Sometime guys act like it's a dirty thing to do. I get a feeling from some of these loose guys like they just want everyone to match the straddle, limp, and see a flop. They love family pots.
If somebody, out of the blue, straddles, is it fair play to raise from the button and take advantage of that extra money placed out of position?
It's like they act as if they're doing the game a favor, or some societal contribution by putting in a straddle, so they act like you're insulting them by taking advantage of this (raising them when they're out o' pos.)
Is it wrong to punish them for putting in a straddle?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you put it in either before or while the cards are being dealt, it will be termed a straddle. If you put it in after the cards are out, whether you look at your cards or not, it will be termed a raise.
But, in effect, there is no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a very big difference. If you min-raise UTG and get a caller, you can't re-raise. If you straddle, your bet is "live" and even if you get callers, you can raise again, just like the BB.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have to straddle before you see your cards right?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm asking. Is the action: blinds are posted, straddle is posted, cards are dealt

Or is it: blinds are posted, cards are dealt, under the gun announces straddle and posts straddle

Sorry if it sounds dumb, but it's not clear from the definition.

[/ QUOTE ]
The straddle is simply a new BB that is double the old BB. As such, you must say you are straddling and post that amount before cards are dealt.

You can't get to see your cards before you straddle just like the BB doesn't have a choice of posting if he doesn't like his cards.

If you get dealt cards and then say straddle, not everyone will know for sure if you looked at your cards first. As well, you can't just put out 2xBB because that is essentially a min-raise in the dark, not a straddle. Tell the dealer you are straddling before he starts dealing and he will tell the other players.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 AM

Well, you generally shouldn't expect people to be happy when you make a +EV play at their expense. Personally I don't mind the straddle, especially if I read a table as tight but lucrative if I can get some action started. Heck, I'm liable to start it in that case.

I'm always willing to invest a few bucks in making a game play more to my liking, I'll make it back.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a very big difference. If you min-raise UTG and get a caller, you can't re-raise. If you straddle, your bet is "live" and even if you get callers, you can raise again, just like the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I dunced that one, thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If somebody, out of the blue, straddles, is it fair play to raise from the button and take advantage of that extra money placed out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally. If I'm first in I'm raising. And I'm almost raising with any hand I'd play in this situation no matter what. This applies to kill pots also.

[ QUOTE ]

Is it wrong to punish them for putting in a straddle?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. See above. They wanted action. Well they got it...lol
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Can anyone else also straddle besides UTG? Can UTG+1 re-straddle?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:13 PM

once the player on your right straddles, you can straddle as well by doubling the last amount.

so UTG straddles for 2BB, UTG+1 straddles for 4BB and so on...

and you have to announce a straddle before the cards are dealt.

I like to straddle in live games when the aggressive preflop raisers are on my left, since I cant limp w/ drawing hands, being last to act protects me from limp/folding.