Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Is My Laptop Crapping Out For Good???

Hi Guys,

I have an Acer Travelmate 8200 that I bought a little over 1.5 years ago. It was the first dual processor laptop on the market and I bought it soon after it came out.

A few days back it was running very slowly so I went to reboot it. When I did so it wouldn't turn back on. So I turn it back on and let it 'disk check' this time and it finds several errors mostly pertaining to fixing stuff in my temporary internet files and after several hours of the disk check running I finally get it to boot up where I find that my Windows thinks it is a bootleg copy.
I followed the directions to square away my Windows registry (i use XP professional fwiw.). So all is good with that.
I then cleared all of my temporary internet files and removed all cookies.

Now, my laptop is still lagging quite a bit. For example, if I'm watching a DVD the sound quality will be terrible with the voices stretched out on diff words, etc.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose and perhaps correct some of these issues?

I realize this may be something quite simple but I'm not very technologically proficient so any words of wisdom you can pass out will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Is My Laptop Crapping Out For Good???

defrag, virus and spyware check.

What processes are using the most resources when it lags?

You will probably be asked to post a HIJACK THIS! log too.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 PM

The strange thing is that applications that usually don't take up that much of my cpu% are now taking much more than normal.

For example an online poker client will use upwards of 40% of my total processing power or my system idle process will do the same. (keep in mind that I have 2 processors so it's just one application that is consuming an entire processor)

I did run a virus check but didn't yet think to spyware check, doh! Will do that now and report back.

I don't know what a 'HIJACK THIS!' log is but I'll google the term and post the results back here as well.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM

how much free HD space do you have? What is your typical PF usage when running slow? Any virus scan changes or updates lately?