Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Top set on dry board. Getting max value.

Villian just sat down. No read. Was content to let a free turn card peal off and maybe go for a c/r. I still stack any set as well as some other weaker two pair hands as well as a bluff sometimes. Was playing HU when villian sat, he saw me playing agro until i stack first guy. Villian sits in and I raise every hand until this one (only like 5 hands). Likes/Dislikes???

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($63.55)
Hero ($123.70)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, Button calls $2.

Flop: ($6) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($26) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks
Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Top set on dry board. Getting max value.

I'd just lead. You've raised out of the blinds, and regardless of what your range is, readless people *always* put you on aces when you raise OOP. If he has two pair he would betfold, well you lost a little value but not much. If he has a set that he's adamant is still good, well he's seeing a river and with stack sizes as they are will probably go all-in. Also bear in mind that there are now billions of wraps out there, and you have no reasonable idea what he has.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Very nice smooth call on his flop reraise. However, if its me, I'm going to lead the turn for another $4 and hope this induces a rr. My reasoning is that sometimes I'll reraise a flop bet from the button if I have a wrap here so I can get guy OOP to check turn to me. This move allows me to check behind on turn and get to the river on the cheap. If you lead for a very minimal turn bet I think villian pops you here like 85% of the time and you can get it AI. We just want to ensure that Villian does not check behind on turn. All in all, I really like your flop play here.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM

I do not like your flop play for the obvious reason that you allow your opponent to draw to whatever relatively cheap. Make them define their hand right now and possibly get it all in right now. I have had plenty of set vs. set battles get it all in on the flop.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM

I'd just lead the turn as played. 3/4 pot is good for value and can make him think you're block betting with AQ.

I'd also just pot the flop instead of that sissy bet. but I'd also pot there as thin as AKxx.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:02 PM

I think a bet / 3 bet gets more value. As played, I expect villain to bet and fold twopairish type hands / some wraps to your CR. After raising pre and calling his flopraise on that board, then CRAI turn, you are obviously showing tremendous stregth and I think most monkeys could read this for AA.

By leading turn, he will either:

1. call -- builds a bigger pot for you with the nuts
2. raise -- perfect, let's get it in now with the nuts now that he's committed himself
3. fold -- if he's folding here then he was bluffraising flop and was going to shut down on turn most times anyway

I think bet &gt; check turn. I like the flop though.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM

i dont play much HU but i like your line. my usual play here is lead flop for 2/3 pot, c/r turn and this pretty much gets all the money in while you are still good in the hand, rather than leading the turn, still having plenty back and then being put to the test on the river when any number of scare cards drops
Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 PM

out of position i think you shouhld try and get the money in on the flop. If he raised you on the flop OOP then i would just call and let him lead into you on the turn (where i'd shove, unless the board was super dry)
Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Min-bet the turn to induce a pot sized raise.

Poker is EZ.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 PM

I raise this flop every time, and do it with a variety of semibluff hands as well. 234678 are all scare cards, this really isn't a 'dry' flop. Especially heads up you should be willing to push a wide range here, and he'll probably call pretty often with top and bottom.