Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL

Old 11-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Live 2/5 JJ hand

I'm pretty sure I played this pretty poorly, so I'd like some critique of my play and suggestions for better lines.

This is a live 2/5 game and it's my third hand. Somehow I managed to have my first hand be the SB after a dealer change, so I am now in the CO. I folded to a PRF in my SB but on the button I had AKo and raised a $20 EP raise and 1 cold-call to $100 and won the pot right there. The game seems a bit aggressive and also pretty loose, though obviously I don't have much to go on. But there are a lot of younger players at the table.

To the JJ hand. After the previous hand my stack is about $550, and most everyone else has me covered. Four people limp in and I raise Jc Js to $40. The button calls, as do two of the limpers, making the pot $170.

The relevant villain in the hand is the button. He is a young (21-25 yrs old) male wearing a baseball cap backward and a muscle shirt.

Flop is 9d 8c 2d. Checked to me and I bet $100. The button calls and the other two limpers fold.

Turn is Qh.

(1) Given how I (mis)played the hand so far, now what?

(2) What should I have done differently? The flop bet should have been bigger ($130-$140ish?), as I botched my mental arithmetic at the table. Should the preflop raise have been different?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Live 2/5 JJ hand

Hey SJ,

Preflop I would either raise a little smaller, or a little bigger. $45-50 gets us to a spot where we can comfortably get it in on "good" boards like this, $200ish in the pot and $475 left to bet.. $25 lets there be $100 in the pot with $525 behind in this 5way pot so we can play for set value/pot control.

On the flop if we are betting (given stack sizes) we are committing, though it's slightly tougher to do than if we had raised a bit more pre.

Given that, i'd bet close to $160-$170 on the flop, most live players aren't so good at figuring out how big the bet is in relation to the pot and as such don't adjust their ranges accordingly. Even just 1 caller lets us bet the turn allin for under pot.

The Q sucks, because JT just got there, and we have just enough behind($425 into a $370 pot) that we have given him decent implieds if we stack off here.

How would the average player react with 9T here? With Ad6d? If they'll check it back we could c-f the turn. A bit better planning though leaves us betting allin for 2/3 pot here, and if he can beat us good for him.

Surf